Building record MYO1186 - 100 Micklegate- The Nags Head Public House
|Grid reference||SE 5982 5158 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (C14, Medieval - 1300 AD to 1399 AD)
- HOUSE (c1530, Medieval to Post Medieval - 1510 AD to 1550 AD)
- HOUSE (c1700, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1680 AD to 1720 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (C18, Late C17 to Late C18 - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Early C19, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (C20, Late C19 to Modern - 1900 AD to 2050 AD)
House, now public house. Front range c1530, added to C14 rear range; extension c1700; refronted and remodelled in C18; further alteration and extension in early C19 and C20. Timber-framed, refronted in painted brick; rear rendered and painted. Steeply pitched slate roofs with brick stacks. Front range 3 bays deep, with possible 2-bay hall at rear and extension in re-entrant.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 1-window front, gable to street. 4-panel door in plain pilaster doorcase beneath moulded cornice hood on heavy grooved consoles; to right, C20 3-light window with sill band over tiled riser, beneath long flat arch of gauged brick which breaks into 3-course brick raised band. Bow window on first floor is tripartite with 12-pane sashes beneath entablature with fluted frieze and dentil cornice. Two 4-pane sashes on second floor, and 2-light casement window in attic. Painted flat arches to second floor and attic windows. Rear: three gable walls, largely obscured by later 1-storey extension.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record that timber-frame is visible on ground floor of front range; on second floor, some studding is said to survive. House became The Nag's Head Inn from mid C18. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 89-91).
Listing NGR: SE5983051584
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The Nag's Head, No. 100, consists of a three-storey unit of three bays, with its end to Micklegate and jettied, erected c. 1530; and at the back, behind a big brick chimney, a narrower wing originally of one storey only and perhaps built in the 14th century. In the 18th century the street front was rebuilt, and an attic formed in the main house. New staircases were put in an annexe, which had filled in the angle between the two old blocks in the late 17th or early 18th century. At an uncertain date a floor was inserted in the rear building. In the mid 18th century, the property belonged to Isabella Stockdale, who left it to two sisters, Jane and Sarah Coghill, who by 1777 were married to John Cawthery and William Powell of Leeds. In 1815– 23 the premises were sold by William Stockdale Powell, only son and heir of William and Sarah, to trustees for John Fryers Kilby, brewer (YCA, E.96, f. 246v.; E.97, f. 167v.), when the property included several buildings adjoining the yard and extending N. to Toft Green, formerly a malt kiln and stables. The messuage was 'used as a Public House called the Nag's Head, now in the occupation of John Smith Aledraper', formerly of Robert Mortimer aledraper and afterwards of Francis Lumb. From 1785 until after 1850 the Nag's Head also included No. 98 (86).
The narrow front with gable to the street is of 18th-century brick. A modern ground-floor window cuts into a projecting brick band. The first floor is lit by a handsome segmental bow window of c. 1810, having three sash lights under an entablature with dentilled cornice and fluted frieze. Internally, in the front part of the house some of the original main timber posts and beams are exposed and, on the second floor, some of the studwork of the side walls crossed by long straight struts. The roof is constructed of common rafters carried on side purlins supported by curved struts from the tie beams; there may be collars above the ceiling.
In the back range, main posts are exposed. One truss has a boldly cambered tie beam carrying a king-post and two raking struts but the upper part is concealed. A second truss has had the tie beam and braces under it all cut away. None of the original fireplaces remain; the existing staircase is partly modern and partly of c. 1840.
Derived from RCHME - 'Secular Buildings: Micklegate', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west (London, 1972), pp. 68-96.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060836 THE NAG'S HEAD PUBLIC HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 11:22AM