SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/676 (North side) 19/08/71 No.100 The Nag's Head Public House
House, now public house. Front range c1530, added to C14 rear range; extension c1700; refronted and remodelled in C18; further alteration and extension in early C19 and C20. Timber-framed, refronted in painted brick; rear rendered and painted. Steeply pitched slate roofs with brick stacks. Front range 3 bays deep, with possible 2-bay hall at rear and extension in re-entrant. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 1-window front, gable to street. 4-panel door in plain pilaster doorcase beneath moulded cornice hood on heavy grooved consoles; to right, C20 3-light window with sill band over tiled riser, beneath long flat arch of gauged brick which breaks into 3-course brick raised band. Bow window on first floor is tripartite with 12-pane sashes beneath entablature with fluted frieze and dentil cornice. Two 4-pane sashes on second floor, and 2-light casement window in attic. Painted flat arches to second floor and attic windows. Rear: three gable walls, largely obscured by later 1-storey extension. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record that timber-frame is visible on ground floor of front range; on second floor, some studding is said to survive. House became The Nag's Head Inn from mid C18. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 89-91).
Listing NGR: SE5983051584
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.