Building record MYO1104 - 46-48 Monkgate

Summary

Houses built circa 1770. Number 46 was converted to a shop in the 19th century and became a shop and office in the mid 20th century. Number 47 was altered in the early 19th century and became a shop and office in the late 19th century, at the time of the 20th century alterations it was a shop. Both properties are now in use as private residences. Formerly listed together, the building are now listed separately

Location

Grid reference SE 6072 5237 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (7)

Full Description

House, now shop and offices. c1770; altered C19 and mid C20. Brick in Flemish bond with pantiled roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 2 bays. The windows to the upper storeys are sashed without glazing bars and have painted brick flat arches. The attic dormer has a shallow- pitched roof. The ground floor is occupied by a C20 shopfront which has a painted rendered surround and a continuous range of glazed sliding doors. Below the cornice gutter a change in brickwork colour suggests that the eaves have been raised. Chimney in front of ridge to right. INTERIOR: RCHM records an early C19 staircase with cast-iron balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was built as half of a symmetrical pair with No.48 (qv). These properties were purchased by Thomas Beckwith, painter, in 1768 and built soon afterwards. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 91).
Listing NGR: SE6073852376

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Nos. 46, 48, were built as a symmetrical pair soon after the site had been bought by Thomas Beckwith, painter, in 1768 (YCA, E94, f. 96v, 97). The upper parts of both houses have been rebuilt at different times and heightened to range with No. 44. The lower part of No. 46 has been converted to a showroom and the former entrance, which mirrored that of No. 48 with a 19th-century pilastered timber door-case, has been destroyed. On the upper floors each house has two hung-sash windows to each floor. On plan the houses were generally similar to Nos. 36 and 40 (277, 279); in No. 46 the staircase has cast-iron balusters, of two fairly simple designs alternated.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 91. Monument 283

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060878 46-48 MONKGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1975. RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Nov 10 2020 4:11PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.