SE6052SE MONKGATE 1112-1/14/741 (South East side) 24/06/83 No.46 (Formerly Listed as: MONKGATE Nos.46 AND 48)
House, now shop and offices. c1770; altered C19 and mid C20. Brick in Flemish bond with pantiled roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 2 bays. The windows to the upper storeys are sashed without glazing bars and have painted brick flat arches. The attic dormer has a shallow- pitched roof. The ground floor is occupied by a C20 shopfront which has a painted rendered surround and a continuous range of glazed sliding doors. Below the cornice gutter a change in brickwork colour suggests that the eaves have been raised. Chimney in front of ridge to right. INTERIOR: RCHM records an early C19 staircase with cast-iron balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was built as half of a symmetrical pair with No.48 (qv). These properties were purchased by Thomas Beckwith, painter, in 1768 and built soon afterwards. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 91).
Listing NGR: SE6073852376
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.