Building record MYO1076 - OBSERVATORY
|Grid reference||SE 5993 5206 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Observatory. 1832-33, restored 1981. Telescope designed and built by Thomas Cooke of York, rotating conical roof designed by John Smeaton, for the Yorkshire Philosophical Society. Magnesian limestone ashlar with lead roof. PLAN: octagonal on shallow plinth. EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, lower storey with moulded cornice, upper storey set back. Door is of 4 flush panels. Each alternate face on ground floor has 12-pane sash window with slender glazing bars. Upper storey has 2-light casement windows. Openings are chamfered. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the observatory was built following the inaugural meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1831, restored and refitted in 1981 to mark the Association's 150th anniversary. For many years, the telescope it housed was the largest refracting telescope in the world. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 45).
Listing NGR: SE6049052070
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 11:57AM