Building record MYO1061 - FORMER WATERWORKS ENGINE HOUSE AT REAR OF LENDAL HILL HOUSE
|Grid reference||SE 5998 5198 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Pump engine house, now offices. 1836, converted in 1854; further alteration later. For the York Waterworks Company. MATERIALS: orange-red brick, in Flemish bond on river front, English garden-wall bond elsewhere; stone plinth and dressings: hipped slate roofs, partly glazed, with brick stack. On all sides, openings are recessed in blind arcades of round arches on plain pilasters. EXTERIOR: river front: 1 storey 2 bays. Each bay has round-headed 8-pane sash window. Raised stone eaves band beneath parapet ramped up to central plinth carrying pedestal in the form of chimney stack with stone coped cap. Eaves band and parapet return on both sides. Returns: 1 storey and attic; 6-bay fronts. Left return ground floor has 12-pane sash windows, one blind in right of centre bay, all with stone sills; openings to right have cambered brick arches, to left segmental brick arches. Attic has radial glazed light in round brick arch in left of centre bay; elsewhere squat blind openings with cambered brick arches: all have stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was constructed to house the waterworks pump engine, built by Joseph Smeaton in 1784. The engine was removed to new works at Acomb Landing c1850 after which the engine house was converted to office use. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 166).
Listing NGR: SE5998451988
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No further description provided.
Related event: (UID 613515) INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
14-NOV-1995 - 14-NOV-1995
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 19 2019 9:50AM