Building record MYO1042 - 13 Ogleforth, Cromwell House


Two storey house constructed circa 1700, with alterations in the second half of the 18th century and in the 19th century. In 1973-5 the building was converted into flats and was converted in to offices in 1984. Converted to houses and apartments in the early 21st century.


Grid reference SE 6048 5223 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (6)

Full Description

Formerly known as: No.14 Cromwell House OGLEFORTH. House, now offices. c1700; C19 alteration and extension; front gable rebuilt c1974, and building renovated c1980. Front of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond on brick plinth with chamfered stone band; stone doorcase and dressings, moulded timber cornice; pantile roof with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; 5-bay front beneath wide pedimental gable: angle pilasters with moulded stone capitals. Central door of 6 recessed panels beneath divided overlight in eared bolection moulded architrave with pulvinated brick frieze and moulded cornice hood. Ground and first floor windows are 12-pane sashes: to gable, three 2x6-pane casement windows with oeil-de-boeuf in keyed brick surround at each end. All windows have moulded stone sills, some renewed; ground and attic windows have flat arches of gauged brick beneath moulded stone cornices. Windows are set vertically in shallow raised brick panels interrupted at base of gable by prominent cornice which breaks across each panel.

INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record open string staircase with slender turned balusters and heavy moulded and ramped-up handrail.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 172). Listing NGR: SE6049852235

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Cromwell House, No. 13, of two storeys with attics, was built in brick c. 1700. Roughly square on plan, it consists of a front part with an architecturally ambitious facade rising to one pedimental gable spanning the full width of the house, and a rather lower back part, originally under two parallel roofs with two gables to the rear; the S.E. gable and the roof behind it were removed in the course of alteration and extension in the 19th century. Between the two halves of the back part is an earlier timber-framed partition, reused or incorporated from an earlier building, and the roof also includes much reused timber, suggesting an earlier house on this site. The interior was remodelled with a new staircase c. 1760; further alterations and subdivision have destroyed the character of the interior. The front was restored and the gable rebuilt c. 1974.

The front elevation, of brick with stone dressings, is of five bays between end pilasters, one destroyed. Above the second floor there must have been an entablature across the full width of the front, but this had been destroyed before the recent restoration. The central doorway has a bolection-moulded stone surround. The windows, one converted to a doorway, are set in shallow brick projections with stone sills and brick aprons; over the ground-floor openings are stone cornices. Three small rectangular windows in the pediment are flanked by an oval window at each end. The surviving gable at the back has the storeys defined by moulded stringcourses and is finished with tumbled brickwork.

Monument 296; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 172

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 60495224 - O.S 1/2500, 1962)

1. OGLEFORTH (north-east side) 5343

No 13 (Cromwell House) (formerly listed as No 14 (Cromwell House))

SE 6052 SE 14/416 14.6.54
SE 6052 SW 27/416


Circa 1700 and later. Restored. Brick; 2 storeys plus attic; full- width pedimental gable to front having 3 modern casement windows; stone plinth; giant pilaster on right-hand side, but has been cut away from left; 5 windows, each vertical pair slightly projecting with heavy moulded stone sills and the lower windows with heavy moulded stone cornices; restored moulded wood cornice at 2nd floor; central doorcase in cased bolection-moulded stone surround with pulvinated frieze, rectangular fanlight and 6-panelled door. Interior much altered. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 296).


1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p 263 City of York, June 1983
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF060953 CROMWELL HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

On-Site Archaeology, 2019, 8 Baile Hill Terrace WB (Unpublished document). SYO2215.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unpublished document: On-Site Archaeology. 2019. 8 Baile Hill Terrace WB.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 5 2020 10:46AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.