EYO5577 - Guildhall Hutments Project
|Grid reference||SE 6006 5193 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
AOC Archaeology group
AOC Archaeology Group was commissioned by City of York Council to undertake an archaeological evaluation of land at the ‘Hutments’ site, adjacent to the Guildhall, York prior to the proposed redevelopment of the site. The site is situated on the north-eastern side of the River Ouse, to the immediate north-west of the 19th century Guildhall annexe, and to the rear of buildings fronting onto Lendal to the north-east (SE 6006 5193). It is bounded by the River Ouse on its south-western side and by boat yard buildings to the north-west. The site takes its name from a temporary wooden building that was constructed on the site in the late 1930s or early 1940s. This building was demolished in early August 2014, following a full historic building recording survey of the structure. During the medieval period the site occupied part of an Augustinian Friary, occupied from around 1272 until the Dissolution in 1538, after which the site appears to have been used primarily for horticulture and gardens until the mid-20th century. It is also situated to the immediate south-west of the area of the Roman fortress, and just up-stream from the position of the Roman bridge across the River Ouse. The archaeological excavation removed an initial 1.2m of deposits from across the site, primarily representing levelling deposits made up of late medieval and post-medieval demolition material, as well as substantial quantities of re-deposited Roman pottery. A metalled track created from this material probably during the 18th century was identified running down the site towards the River Ouse, connecting the riverside with the rear of the properties on Lendal. Two sections of medieval wall that are likely to have formed part of the friary were also discovered during the excavations of two 1m by 1m test pits, which took the depth of excavation down a further 0.8m. It is hoped that future work on the site will reveal more evidence for the medieval buildings, and potentially earlier activity. The only other extant structure relating to the friary is a section of medieval river wall which forms the western side of the site. The excavation was undertaken with a Community Team of volunteers, who were supervised and trained by professional archaeologists from AOC Archaeology Group. The site was also open for viewing by the public, and related workshops and activities held to engage the local community and visitors in the work, and in the wider history and archaeology of York.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Oct 23 2018 9:01AM