SE6052SW LORD MAYOR'S WALK 1112-1/13/568 (North East side) 01/07/68 University College of Ripon & York St John: College Building (Formerly Listed as: LORD MAYOR'S WALK Building to front & blocks to rear... at The College of Ripon & York St John)
Formerly known as: St John's College LORD MAYOR'S WALK. Diocesan Training College; now University Teacher Training College. 1845 with later C19 extension; C19 and C20 alterations. By GT Andrews for the York and Ripon Diocesan Boards of Education. MATERIALS: fronts of orange-grey brick in English bond on chamfered stone plinths; inner sides of same brick in English garden-wall bond with ashlar dressings; timber guttering on timber modillions. Slate roofs have skylights on inner sides, stone copings and diagonally set octagonal brick stacks with stone cornices: several stacks are conjoined, one on left gable wall of left end wing is full height and external. Roof ridge of right range is surmounted by two octagonal glazed lanterns with moulded eaves cornices and tapering sprocketed lead roofs with weathervane finials: left end wing has two box dormers. Extension range at rear is of orange-grey brick in English bond on chamfered brick plinth; window surrounds and dressings are of moulded brick: slate roof has steeply gabled half dormers, brick ridge stacks and square timber bellcote with pyramidal slate roof and weathervane finial. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: Quadrangular. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics; 5-bay centrepiece flanked by 6-window ranges and 5-window wings at right angles at each end. Centrepiece projects: bays are articulated by attached octagonal turrets with moulded cornices and ogee caps: centre and outer bays are gabled with plain parapet masking valleys between. Centrepiece has central doorway in 4-centred chamfered arch with recessed C20 glass and aluminium door beneath overlight of 3 tall segment-arched lights: over arch is a 4-light oriel window with tall 8-pane casements: in the apex a single slit light. Inner return of left end wing has central chamfered doorcase with 4-centred head and board door beneath overlight of 4 tall pointed lights. Gable ends to both wings have 2-storey square bay windows with half hipped roofs and single lights in the attic. Generally ground floor windows are of 2-, 3- or 4-mullioned lights, those in flanking ranges with transoms: windows are tall narrow segment-headed lights, most on ground floor of 12 panes with some replacements, on
first floor, tall 10-pane casements or 12-pane sashes. Window surrounds are square-headed, quoined and double chamfered with chamfered mullions and sloped sills. Moulded first floor string runs across full front. Extension range at rear: 2 storeys with attics, irregularly fenestrated on outer side. Central passage arch is 4-centred, of 3 hollow chamfered arches of moulded brick, closed by fine wrought-iron double gates with fleur-de-lys finials. To left are three 2-storey canted bay windows with embattled parapets and mullioned and double transomed square latticed lights. End bays are gabled and have 5-light first floor oriels with 2 tiers of square latticed casement and top hung windows beneath cornice with central segmental pediment. Attic windows are of 2 lights, square latticed, casements and top hung lights. INTERIOR: of quadrangle: some windows in original ranges have been replaced. Extension range has open passage arch in centre: at left end, ogee headed glazed and panelled door in chamfered ogee arched surround, approached by stone steps: at right end, part glazed door and screen in segment-arched opening. Ground floor windows are of 4 lights in square-headed surrounds: on first floor, of 2 lights with arched heads in 2-centred arched surrounds. Original windows are square latticed casements and pivoting lights, several having been replaced with plain glazing. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 53).
Listing NGR: SE6041552496