SE6051NW MICKLEGATE 1112-1/28/693 (North side) 14/06/54 York Arts Centre (Formerly Listed as: MICKLEGATE City Arts Centre)
Formerly known as: Church of St John the Evangelist OUSEBRIDGE. Church, now arts centre. Early C12 lower stage to tower; C14 chancel north arch; north aisle and arcade remodelled, and west end extended, in late C15; late C15 south aisle and arcade. In 1551 part of north aisle and arcade rebuilt following partial collapse of tower; belfry of 1646. Extensive restoration in 1850, when east end was rebuilt and south porch added; further restorations of 1866, when nave was re-roofed, and c1955. 1850 work by G Fowler Jones; 1866 restoration by JB and W Atkinson; C20 conversion by University of York Design Unit. Re-roofed and further alterations c1990. MATERIALS: dressed gritstone and magnesian limestone, with C19 work of dressed sandstone; C16 repairs in red brick; timber-framed belfry with red brick infilling. Tile and slate main roof of three parallel spans; tiled pyramidal roof to tower, with wrought-iron finial. PLAN: double-aisled continuous 1-bay chancel and 3-bay nave; south porch; 2-stage internal tower and belfry towards west end. EXTERIOR: east end: triple-gabled, with C19 windows replicating the originals. 3-light chancel window with cusped intersecting tracery in 2-centred arch beneath corbel-stopped hood; panel-traceried north and south aisle windows of 4 and 3 cinquefoiled lights respectively, in 4-centred arches with corbelled hoodmoulds. North side has angle and intermediate buttresses. Doorway in 2-centred arch towards west end. To east, three windows each of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery, easternmost blocked. At west end, window of paired cusped lights, repaired in brick. All openings in chamfered reveals. South side: bays separated by offset buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. Towards west end, gabled porch projects, with 2-centred arch of two roll-moulded orders with decaying moulded capitals, beneath head-stopped hoodmould. East of porch are three windows of 3 cinquefoiled lights and panel tracery in 4-centred arched openings, beneath head-stopped hoodmoulds; at east end, similar window of 2 lights. At west end, window of 2 trefoiled lights and panel tracery beneath flattened arch. Window openings are hollow-chamfered. Sill string course and moulded eaves string beneath embattled parapet. West end not visible. Belfry has square louvred openings to
south and east; gabled, louvred lucarne to south. INTERIOR: 3-bay north and south arcades of 2-centred double-chamfered arches, octagonal columns and responds. Responds to easternmost arch of north arcade have moulded capitals. Of remaining arches, the inner order dies into piers, the outer terminates in elongated block corbels. At east end of south arcade is a large opening, probably a squint, with splayed, chamfered reveal. East opening beneath tower not visible; north and south arches are low, 2-centred, continuously chamfered. Above north and south arches, traces of second stage window arches of voussoirs remain. To west, blocked original window in deeply splayed and chamfered reveal. Extension west of tower on two chamfered half arches which act as flying buttresses against tower west face. Original panelled ceilings to aisles survive, with moulded ties and beams, and carved bosses. Nave roof is C19 hammer-beam replacement. MONUMENTS: north aisle: keyed, round-headed marble tablet with winged cherub head beneath, to Nathaniel Wilson, d.1726, and his wife, Elizabeth, d.1736. At east end, altar tomb said to be that of Sir Richard Yorke, d.1498, with panelled sides of quatrefoils incorporating heraldic shields. North arcade: tablet with bands of guilloche decoration, to John Scott, d.1775; white marble monument to Christopher Benson, d.1801, and members of his family, signed 'Stead of York'. South arcade: two cartouches, one to Anne Haynes, d.1747, the other to Elizabeth Potter, "faithful servant 26 years in one family", d.1766. South aisle: marble tablet to Luke Thompson, d.1743, and Grace, his wife, d.1776. At east end, pedimented tablet to Thomas Bennett, d.1773, and Elizabeth, his wife, d.1825, with weeping willow leaning over a sarcophagus and scrolled inscription; signed 'Bennett S.Y." (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 16-20).
Listing NGR: SE6011251652