See our for general information on Listed Buildings, Scheduled Monuments and Conservation Areas.

Grade II
LBSUID 464467
Date assigned Friday, June 24, 1983
Date last amended


YORK SE5951SE PRIORY STREET 1112-1/20/882 (South West side) 24/06/83 Nos.8 AND 10 and attached railings and gates GV II Pair of houses, and area railings and gates attached at front; now offices. c1855, No.10 extended at rear later in C19. By GT Andrews. MATERIALS: pink-cream mottled brick, in Flemish bond to front and left side, English garden-wall bond to rear and right side; painted stone banding, and timber doorcases and modillion eaves cornice; slate roof with brick stacks. Cast-iron railings and gates on stone plinth. EXTERIOR: basement and 3 storeys; 2-window front to each house. Short flights of steps, bridging the area, lead to doorcases of sunk-panel pilasters, friezes with paterae and cornice hoods on foliate consoles; 6-panel doors beneath radial fanlights recessed in round-arched architraves with moulded imposts and transoms, and panelled reveals. To left of each door, 3-light canted bay window rises from basement; No.8 has 1-pane sashes, No.10 has 8- and 12-pane sashes. On upper floors, all windows are 12-pane sashes, those on first floor taller, beneath cambered brick arches: both floors have sill band. Rear: 2 and half storey projecting wings with pent roofs, and 12-pane sashes with stone sills and cambered brick arches. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings and gates are turned, with flower-bud tips. Nos 8 and 10 are shown on Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in the 1850s, and probably formed part of GT Andrews' planned scheme for the newly opened-up Priory Gardens, formerly the grounds of the former Holy Trinity Priory. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 38). Listing NGR: SE5986451481

External Links (0)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SE 59863 51481 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jan 11 2007 3:00PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.