SE6052SW STONEGATE 1112-1/27/1030 (South East side) 01/07/68 No.35 At the Sign of the Bible
House and shop. C15 front range, early C17 rear wing with late C19 bay window, and late C17 linking block; late C19 alterations and shopfront, and other minor alterations in C20. MATERIALS: front range and rear wing timber-framed; front range pargeted at front, rear of orange brick in stretcher bond; rear wing encased in red-brown brick in stretcher bond, part rendered, and with hipped roof; link block of brick; pantile roofs with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, cellar and attics; 1 gabled bay to street with jettied first and second floors, second floor jetty having terminal brackets carved with garlanded heads. Shopfront contained in chamfered and moulded frame beneath prominent moulded cornice on brackets carved with flower sprays. Steps up to central glazed door with decorative leaded overlight recessed in trefoiled arch with carved spandrels: on each side, 3-light square bay windows with stained glass clerestories project over cellar openings. Cellars have ornate cast-iron grilles and bands of glazed tiles, incorporating the date 1874. Painted wooden book sign hangs over door, inscribed 'HOLY BIBLE 1682'. First floor window is 4-light canted bay with leaded clerestory lights of stained glass: carved band beneath sill incorporates initials CR, date 1682, a Tudor rose and a thistle. Window surmounted by openwork wooden balustrade forming balcony beneath second floor windows. On second floor are three cross-windows with similar clerestory lights and carved surrounds with moulded sills. Mullions and transoms are moulded. Attic window is of paired lights with decorative leaded glazing, and moulded sill on brackets carved with ball flowers. In gable apex, collar carved with oak leaves, supported on shaped console, carries king post in the form of a baluster. Carved bargeboards have terminal brackets with ball mouldings. Left return: side passage leads to front door and stained glass porch window; and square bay stained glass window in rear wing. INTERIOR: ground floor: shop has Gothic-style fireplace and overmantel; cased framing visible; reset C17 run-through panelling. Range of fitted cupboards with ornate wrought-iron hinges at head of cellar stairs. Staircase to attic has moulded strings, turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. Middle room fully lined with fielded panelling; moulded dado rail and moulded cornice: plain moulded fireplace surround with later bracketed shelf and panelled overmantel flanked by alcoves in wide elliptical
arches. Square bay window contains stained glass. First floor: front room has late C18 fireplace enriched with composition mouldings, fluted frieze and dentilled cornice shelf: later round-headed grate in marble surround. Second floor: front room lined with square wainscot and carved arcaded panelling: fireplace has bolection moulded surround. Attic: altered crown post roof: front truss intact, middle truss altered to incorporate door, rear truss removed. A number of 3-panel doors survive throughout the house. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house served as a bookshop between 1682, when Francis Hildyard opened 'The Sign of the Bible', and 1873 when it was acquired by the stained glass artist, JW Knowles (1838-1931). From that date, it was his residence and workshop and remains as altered by him: much of the stained glass is his work. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 173; Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 91; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 232).
Listing NGR: SE6027552054