SE6051NW CLIFFORD STREET 1112-1/28/175 (West side) 12/12/78 No.12 (Formerly Listed as: CLIFFORD STREET No.12 (former Technical College))
Technical College; now nightclub. 1883-85. By WG Penty. For The York Institute of Science, Art and Literature. Red brick in English garden wall bond, with cream terracotta dressings; slate roof. EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys; two fronts, each 7 bays, on either side of canted corner bay; centre bay to Clifford Street rises to gabled attic. Upper floors articulated by pilasters rising from plain pedestals above chamfered basement, and carrying elaborate corbel cornice. Arcaded parapet incorporating sunk panel piers surmounted by miniature kiosk finials, which are repeated on squat pilasters flanking coped gable. Parapet continues across base of gable, which has pierced centre roundel and moulded spandrels. Clifford Street front: blind basement with chamfered ashlar lintels to bays flanking central steps, the chamfered upper arrises of which form basement band. In centre bay, steps rise to panelled doors set behind round arch of four orders with heavily moulded soffits and shafts, annulets and foliate capitals. Arch head filled with fanlight containing coloured glass, and spandrels moulded with civic emblems. On first floor, windows are paired in round arches of two orders, heavily moulded as doorcase. Ground and first floors of flanking bays have 2-light cross windows with moulded timber mullions and transoms beneath shaped ashlar lintels: on ground floor, windows are square-headed and have moulded sills; on second floor, the heads are round-arched on moulded turned shafts. Beneath first floor runs frieze of panels, moulded alternately with lively scrolls of leaves and roses, and with decorated wording referring to the YORK INSTITUTE, ART AND SCIENCE. Similarly moulded centre panel in doorcase refers to founding of the Institute in 1827. Cumberland Street front repeats Clifford Street front, with inserted panelled double doors in basement of plain centre bay. To right of door, reset marble foundation stone recording its laying by the Prince of Wales on 18 July 1883, and the architect. Corner bay: basement door replaces foundation stone: frieze panel displays LITERATURE. Throughout, coloured glass survives in several window heads. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: SE6032551580