Building record MYO985 - THE BLACK SWAN PUBLIC HOUSE

Summary

Timber framed house constructed in 1560 with later 16th century and 17th century additions. The building was converted into a public house in the 19th century, with further alterations circa 1940. The building is of two storeys with an oversailing upper storey.

Location

Grid reference SE 6074 5194 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (5)

Full Description

House, now public house. Late C16 with early and late C17 extensions; renovation and further extension in C20. Timber-framed, front plastered and whitewashed, buff-orange brick in random bond elsewhere; roofs of tile and pantile with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: twin-gabled front of 2 storeys and attic, with jettied first floor and exposed timber-framing, largely renewed; extension to right of 2 storeys and gabled attic, 2 windows; to left, C20 2-storey extension. Door to right of centre has attached geometric panelling. Windows are single- or multi-light leaded casements with renewed timber mullions and transoms. Twin gables have vine-carved bargeboards and pendants. Gable to right extension is blind. Rear: gabled wings project behind later extensions. Right wing has altered windows beneath moulded brick pediments, segmental on first floor, triangular in attic, and broad moulded attic band. In return to left, arcade of blind round arches to ground floor. Left wing has triangular pediment over C20 2-light window on first floor. Left return: C20 extensions flank early C17 gabled wing of 2 storeys and attic with jettied upper floors. Wing has 5-light casement window on ground floor and similar 2-light windows on upper floors. To left, late C17 2-storey extension behind C20 addition has two first floor windows in rendered quoined surrounds. INTERIOR: ground floor: stone flagged entrance passage has elliptical keyed arch to stairhall: three doorcases with pilasters supporting moulded cornices, two with pulvinated friezes and contemporary panelled doors, one with added bolection moulded architrave to door of 6 fielded panels. Front left room, lined with reset C17 panelling, has bolection moulded fire surround beneath painted overmantel panel between squat sunk-panel pilasters with moulded cornice: ceiling coffered with intersecting beams with moulded soffits: half-domed semicircular niche with shaped shelves on shaped brackets. Open-well staircase with panelled risers, moulded close string, bulbous balusters, heavy moulded handrail and square newels with ball and pedestals finials and pierced pendants: 2-panel door beneath stairs. Rear left room has chamfered beams and huge fireplace beneath chamfered timber bressumer. First floor front room lined with full-height panelling in moulded surrounds, painted in trompe l'oeil rectangular and oval raised panels containing figures, and incorporating door on H-L hinges. Pulvinated frieze painted
with laurel leaves. Fireplace lined with reset blue and white tiles beneath moulded cornice shelf and shaped panel overmantel enclosed in moulded frame and painted with allegorical figures in pastoral scene: both parts flanked by sunk-panel pilasters. Ceiling coffered by heavy beams with moulded soffits. Panel paintings almost indecipherable. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 179).
Listing NGR: SE6074551949

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Probably 1560. Later C16 and C17 additions and later alterations.
Part timber frame and part brick; 2 storeys plus attic; twin gabled
front with oversailing upper storey; bargeboards carved with vine
trails, and pendants; much restored timber-framing; renewed wood
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights; lower south
wing with restored timber-framing and blocked dormer with carved
bargeboards, and pendant, square-headed wood doorcase with applied
mouldings. The interior has good late C17 features, including staircase, doorways, fireplaces and panelling, including trompe l'ceil painted panelling in the room above the Smoke Room. A bronze plate by the entrance records that this was the home of William Bowes, Lord Mayor of York, and that his son and grandson also held this office. (RCHm Vol V, Monument 317).

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 275 City of York, June 1983
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest District of York, 14-MAR-1997


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Nov 29 2019 1:51PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.