Building record MYO968 - 15-17 Rougier Street

Summary

The surviving part of a terraced range of small houses and a shop built circa 1845.

Location

Grid reference SE 5992 5183 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Two houses and shop. c1842. Pink-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond with timber doorcases and shopfront; timber modillion eaves cornice; slate hipped roof with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front to Rougier Street: at left end, shopfront continues from Tanner's Moat, entered through glazed and panelled door with overlight in canted corner. 15 and 16 have doors of 4 sunk panels with cross-glazed overlights in plain doorcases of pilasters with moulded imposts and moulded cornices. One ground floor window is 16-pane sash with shutters, the other boarded-up; on first floor 12-pane sashes; on second floor squat 6-pane sashes except the one over door to 16 which is blind. All have flat arches and painted stone sills. Tanner's Moat: 3 storeys, 2 windows. Shopfront of plain pilasters with moulded imposts, plain frieze and dentilled cornice between grooved consoles capped with segmental gablets; plate glass windows in moulded surrounds over painted risers. First and second floor windows repeat those on Rougier Street front.

INTERIOR: of shop fitted with C19 dado and shelving. No.15 is being listed for the first time.
(City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 129).
Listing NGR: SE5992651837

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

ROUGIER STREET was laid out in 1841 as part of the new approaches to the (old) Railway Station and was mostly built by 1843. It was named after the family of Rougier, proprietors of a large comb-making factory and of much of the area. Almost all the houses were demolished in 1961

Rougier Street 1–16 1842/3 Built in pairs, forming a long terrace. Each 1½ bays x 3 storeys.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972

NMR Information
The surviving part of a terraced range of small houses and a shop built circa 1845. The three-storey house is built of brick.

BF061064 1-15 ROUGIER STREET, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse, 129 (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse. 129.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 13 2020 3:07PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.