Building record MYO916 - 7 St. Sampson's Square
|Grid reference||SE 6032 5192 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (7)
- HOUSE (Mid C17, Early C17 to Mid C17 - 1633 AD to 1666 AD)
- JETTIED HOUSE (Built early C16, Medieval - 1500 AD to 1532 AD)
- HOUSE (Altered early C18, Late C17 to Early C18 - 1700 AD to 1732 AD)
- HOUSE (Early C19 alterations, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1800 AD to 1832 AD)
- HOUSE (Later C19, Early C19 to Late C19 - 1833 AD to 1899 AD)
- DEPARTMENT STORE (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Altered late C19, Late C19 - 1867 AD to 1900 AD)
House, now part of department store. Probably early C16, with mid C17 staircase; jetties cut back and refronted in early C18; further alterations in early C19 and later in C19; C20 shopfront and alterations. Timber-framed; front of buff-orange brick in Flemish bond, with timber eaves cornice; roof slated at front, pantile at rear.
PLAN: 2 bays wide, 2 bays deep with staircase extension at rear.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 2-window front. Shopfront includes passage archway at right end. All upper floor windows are 16-pane sashes with narrow sills and flat arches of gauged brick. 3-course raised brick band to second floor. Dentil and modillion eaves cornice with inverted bell rainwater head towards right end. Yorkshire Insurance firemark between second floor windows.
INTERIOR: staircase with close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and heavy moulded handrail. Timber-frame substantially intact, with braced posts, exposed studded walls on first and second floors, and blocked windows in second floor and attic cross walls. Roof is of braced raked queen strut trusses with collared rafters and purlin braces.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 207).
Listing NGR: SE6032251926
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(400) House, No. 7, now a shop, was built probably in the early 16th century as a three-storey timber-framed building, two bays long, parallel to the street. In the 18th century the jettied upper floors were cut back and a new front wall was built of brick, with sash windows. At the back, the main posts rise the full height of the building and have upward braces to the wall-plate and tie-beams. The collar-rafter roof has sidepurlins supported by raking struts. In the S.W. corner is a late 17th-century staircase with close strings, square newels and bulbous balusters. At the rear is a 19th-century addition, also three-storeyed. By 1804 it was known as the Punch Bowl p.h. (YCA, E96, ff. 30v-32).
City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 207
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061094 7 ST SAMPSON'S SQUARE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2020 4:28PM