Building record MYO902 - 29-31 St Saviourgate
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6061 5195 (29m by 27m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House now offices. 1735 with extension of 1739; subdivided in mid C19.
MATERIALS: orange brick in Flemish bond, on part concrete plinth, part painted stone; timber cornice. Roof of tiles at front, pantile at rear, with brick stacks and four flat-topped dormers with 2- or 3-light windows. Painted stone doorcase to No.29, timber to No.31.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay original front, with slightly projecting centre bay; 4-bay extension to right. Original entrance to No.29 in projecting bay, in replacement doorcase with round-arched architrave, fluted impost band, spandrels enriched with garlanded wheatear mouldings and dentilled open pediment on grooved consoles with foliate pendants. Entrance to No.31 to right, in inserted doorcase of plain pilasters and heavy moulded and modillioned cornice. Both have doors of 6 raised and fielded panels, that to No.29 with patterned fanlight, that to No.31 divided overlight. At right end, original door of 8 sunk panels with radial-glazed fanlight in round-arched opening leads to side passage. Windows on ground floor are 12-pane sashes, on first floor unequal 15-pane sashes, all with flat arches of gauged brick and stone sills, some painted. Window arches on second floor partly hidden by moulded dentilled and modillioned cornice. Raised band of brick to left of doorcase to No.29, of painted stone to right and across extension front. Two ornate moulded rainwater heads embossed with winged cherub heads.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase in No.29 with close string, turned and fluted balusters and square fluted newels with moulded, ramped handrail. First-floor room in No.29 and ground-floor room in No.31 have bolection moulded panelling and elaborate plaster overmantels.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 208).
Listing NGR: SE6061951958
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, Nos. 29, 31, is of three storeys with a five-bay front, probably built in 1735, the date on the rainwater head, and has a four-bay extension to the N.E. with a rainwater head bearing the date 1739. Modern extensions have been added to the rear of the building. In the late 18th century the original entrance doorway and eaves cornice were renewed. A second entrance was made for No. 31, when the property was sub-divided in the early 19th century.
The front rooms on the first floor are lofty, giving only two storeys and semi-attics, but at the back there are three full storeys. In the original building, the middle bay breaks forward slightly and the first floor is marked by a brick plat-band. The entrance has a moulded and enriched door-case with an open pediment over the fanlight and simple side pilasters of Roman Doric type, with a heavy entablature above. Both the first-floor front room in the original house and the ground-floor front room of the extension have bolection-moulded panelling and elaborate plaster overmantels. The staircase has close strings with turned fluted balusters and square fluted newels. The doorways have moulded architraves
Monument 407; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 208
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061105 29-31 ST SAVIOURGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 7:02PM