Building record MYO894 - 14 St Saviour's Place

Summary

14 St Saviour's Place, listed as "Number 14 and garden wall, gate and railings attached to front". Built in the mid 18th century as the Manse to the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Aldwark (now known as numbers 60-2 Aldwark). The house was altered in the early 19th century.

Location

Grid reference SE 6068 5198 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

House with attached front garden wall, gate and railings. Mid C18 with early C19 alteration. Orange-grey mottled brick in Flemish bond with orange brick quoins and dressings; timber doorcase and moulded modillion cornice; pantile roof with brick stacks. Garden wall of red and black brick in English garden-wall bond with stone coping: gate and railings of cast-iron.

PLAN: central entrance.

EXTERIOR: cellar and 3 storeys; 3-window front. Area steps to left of front door lead to 4-panel cellar door and window beneath timber lintel. Front door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath semicircular fanlight within doorcase of fluted pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Windows on ground and first floors are 16-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick, on second floor squat 8-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden wall attached to left approximately 1.75 metres high, returns along street front approximately .30 metres to .75 metres high, surmounted by railings. Front gate and railings are turned, gate posts turned and tapering, topped with ball finials. House was built as the Manse to the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel, now Nos 60 and 62 Aldwark (qv), attached at rear.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 211). Listing NGR: SE6068651985

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

House, No. 14, was built probably c. 1775 as a manse for the Wesleyan chapel (25), erected opposite St. Anthony's Hall in 1759. It is of three storeys and on plan comprises one room each side of a central entrance hall and staircase. The front retains the original doorway with a semicircular fanlight rising into an open pediment. At the eaves is a timber block cornice. The interior retains many of the original fittings, all quite simple. The staircase has open strings and turned balusters with square knops.

Monument 416; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 211

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061111 14 ST SAVIOUR'S PLACE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jun 14 2020 1:42PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.