Building record MYO843 - NUMBERS 1-5 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED GARDEN GATES AND RAILINGS
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6036 5141 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- TERRACE (c1865, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1845 AD to 1885 AD)
- TERRACED HOUSE (c1865, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1845 AD to 1885 AD)
- RAILINGS (c1865, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1845 AD to 1885 AD)
- GATE (c1865, Mid C19 to Late C19 - 1845 AD to 1885 AD)
- TERRACED HOUSE (Later alterations, Late C19 to Unknown - 1886 AD)
Terrace of 5 houses and attached garden gates and railings. c1865 with later alterations. Red and grey brick in Flemish bond, with eaves cornice of 3 stepped courses of moulded glazed brick; brick stacks with glazed brick cornices, to slate roof. Garden gates and railings of cast-iron. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 10-window front. Doorcases have cambered heads beneath nailhead moulded hoods, architraves and reveals of moulded glazed brick, and recessed 6-panel doors with overlights. To right of each doorway is 2-storey 3-light canted bay window with chamfer-stopped mullions, painted stone sills and billet-moulded cornices of glazed brick. Windows to No.1 now altered, but Nos 2-5 retain original 4-pane centre sashes between 1-pane sashes. To left of bays on first floor, small casements have been inserted. On second floor, window openings are segment-arched, with painted stone sills, some retaining original 4-pane sashes, some altered to casements. INTERIORS: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings raised on retaining wall and steps on north-east side of South Esplanade (qv) surviving from C13 Franciscan Friary on same site. Railings to gardens and gates are turned and spear-headed, and standards twisted with bulbous finials.
Listing NGR: SE6036451420
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The living accommodation is split over 4 storeys including the roof space. The ground floor, where the proposed work is focused, comprises entrance hallway, front reception room, kitchen and under stairs storage. Further to the rear is a later single storey extension comprising utility room with access into the rear garden and small WC.
The property was built in 1865 with later alterations and extensions to the rear. The external envelope is constructed of red and grey brick in Flemish bond. The primary elevation facing onto South Esplanade comprises 2 stacked bay windows to ground and 1st floor to the right hand side of the front door. Above there are 2 symmetrical 2 over 2 vertical sash windows. Front door to the property is 6-panel doors with clear glazed overlights. (Heritage Statement 2017)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2017 1:18PM