Building record MYO840 - BUILDING ATTACHED TO SOUTH WEST CORNER OF LADY ANNE MIDDLETONS HOTEL
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6019 5139 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Organ manufactory, now part of hotel. c1880; altered early C20, renovated c1989. Front of red brick in Flemish bond, with bands and dressings of cream or black brick; right side and rear of mottled red brick in variant of English garden-wall bond. Slate roof, gabled to front with timber valance, bargeboards and finial. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front. Inserted C20 door in left return. Ground floor of main front has two lancet windows with decorative glazing and a stone sill. Pointed window arches, 3-course sill band and 1-course impost band of contrasting brick. Right window blind. First floor window is of tripled lancets with bordered decorative glazing and stone sills on quarter round moulded sill blocks. Other detailing as for ground floor windows. In attic, cross-glazed oculus in contrasting brick surround. Contrasting brick frieze and console cornice to gable end. To left of first floor windows, rectangular plate to tie rod, visible within building. INTERIOR: windows incorporate stained glass panels. Building roofed on 2 king post trusses with single side purlins, partly carried on spurs, partly trenched-in. HISTORICAL NOTE: building continued in use as an organ-builder's workshop, occupied by Walter Hopkins, until 1921, when the premises were sold. A notice advertising the sale on 21 July 1921, of "valuable Organ Builder's Stock in Trade", which included a steam engine, displayed in the upstairs room at time of survey.
Listing NGR: SE6019551393
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:24PM