Building record MYO833 - 5 Stonegate (and outbuildings attached at rear)
|Grid reference||SE 6020 5199 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (6)
- HOUSE (Built mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (Built mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- SHOP (C20 alterations, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- OUTBUILDING (Built mid C19, Early C19 to Mid C19 - 1833 AD to 1866 AD)
- HOUSE (Late C19 refenestration, Late C19 - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)
- SHOP (Late C19 refenestration, Late C19 - 1867 AD to 1899 AD)
House and shop. Mid C19 with later C19 fenestration and C20 shopfront. Stucco front, slate roof with rendered stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 3-bay front, upper storeys articulated by full height pilaster strips with moulded imposts supporting moulded eaves cornice. Shopfront has passage entry at left end, glazed doors in centre and at corner, and plate glass windows, all beneath plain cornice. On first floor, 12-pane sash window with stuccoed sill beneath pent hood on moulded brackets is flanked by 3-light square bay windows with casements and coloured glass transom lights. On second floor, shorter 12-pane sash windows have stuccoed sills extended on each side to form flat band.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 226). Listing NGR: SE6020551991
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(473) House and shop, No. 5, of three storeys, was built in the early or mid 19th century. The front elevation, of three bays marked by pilaster strips, is rendered and has a later shop front. The interior has been altered.
1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 226. London: RCHME
No. 5 early to mid C19, rendered brick front with pilaster strips and later shopfront.
Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p234. London: Penguin
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061162 5 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2020 3:48PM