Building record MYO812 - 34 Stonegate


A pair of houses built in circa 1730. The building was altered and extended in the late 19th century when the building was converted to a shop, the late 19th century shopfront was altered in the 20th century when the building was converted into a restaurant.


Grid reference SE 6024 5204 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Pair of houses, now restaurant. c1730; altered and extended in late C19; late C19 shopfront altered in C20. Front of incised render, rear of orange brick in stretcher bond; extension of orange brick in English garden-wall bond; pantile roof with brick stack.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-window front. Shopfront framed in sunk-panel pilasters with foliate scrolled brackets at the head and modillion cornice: central glazed and panelled door with semicircular hood on foliate brackets and enriched spandrels flanked by 3-light plate glass windows. Windows on upper floors are 12-pane sashes, taller on first floor, in raised architraves with painted sills, those on second floor extended on each side as sill band. Broad band at second floor. Moulded cornice between grooved terminal consoles. Rear: 3-storey wing with pent roof has tripartite window of unequal sashes on second floor, beneath eaves course of stepped brick.

INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record staircase in right part with closed string, turned balusters and panelled dado; first floor front room fully panelled and shelved fireplace cupboard.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 222).
Listing NGR: SE6023852043

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(462) House, No. 32, of three storeys and attics, is of brick with a modern tiled roof. It was built c. 1730 as a pair of houses, each with a central transverse staircase. In the 19th century they were converted to shops, and a wing was built at the rear; the upper floors of both houses were combined into a single property, one of the original staircases was removed, and many rooms were refitted.

The front elevation, of five bays, is rendered, with imitation ashlar lining, and has shop fronts, sashed windows, and cornice, all of the 19th century. The rear elevation is much altered, but on the gabled S.W. Side elevation is a tall window for the original stair. Now removed. Inside, on the first floor is a panelled room, with shelved niche adjoining the fireplace. There are few other original fittings except the staircase on the N.E. Side, which has close strings, turned balusters with sqaure knops, and panelled dado; the lower flights have been removed and the terminal scroll with clustered balusters reset on the first floor.

1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 222. London: RCHME

No. 34, brick, rendered and lined to resemble ashlar. Built c. 1730 as a pair of houses. C19 shopfront.

Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p234. London: Penguin

NMR Information

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061183 34 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 20 2020 12:54PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.