Building record MYO801 - Mulberry Hall, 17 - 19 Stonegate
|Grid reference||SE 6024 5202 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
Formerly known as: Nos.13, 14 AND 15 STONEGATE. House, now shop. C15; raised, extended and wing added in late C16; C20 restoration. Timber-framed, plastered at front, with roofs of plain tile and pantile, and brick stack.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey front of 3 gabled bays, with jettied first and second floors; timber-frame exposed. Shopfronts under cased first floor bressumer framed in plain pilasters with moulded imposts. Glazed and panelled door between left and centre bays; windows of plate glass with moulded mullions over sunk panel risers. First and second floor windows are oriels with square and diamond leaded lights. Second floor bressumer decorated with fretwork, gable bargeboards with vines and foliage trails.
INTERIOR: front range contains staircase from cellar to attic, with close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and ball finials, and moulded handrail. Timber-frame exposed throughout first floor. Wing retains wide fireplace on ground floor with massive timber bressumer. First floor room lined with run-through panelling retains fireplace surround and overmantel carved with fretwork and flowers, the lintel with foliage trail: overmantel panel encompasses pair of blind arcaded round arches.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 228). Listing NGR: SE6024252024
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(478) Mulberry Hall, Nos. 17,19, is a three-storey timber framed house with tiled and pan-tiled roofs. It was built in about the mid 15th century as a two-storeyed range along the street frontage, and originally extended to the S.W. As far as Little Stonegate, but only a little framing now survives inside the adjoining house, No. 15, rebuilt in the 18th century. In the late 16th century, possibly in 1574, a third storey was added, the building increased in depth by several feet, and a two-storeyv wing built at the rear which included on the ground floor a room, probably a kitchen, with a large fireplace with timber bressumer. The whole building now forms a single shop but until recently was two tenements. A house of the same name, belongiong to the prebend of North Newbald, was mentioned in 1372 and 1376 (YML, M2(5), ff. 79-80; CPR, 1374-77, 266-7) but this was on a different site, futher to the N.E.
Three bays of the original two-storey, timber-framed structure remain. The first floor is jettied on the front but the framing has been altered and downward braces removed. There is one original roof truss at the N.E. End, visible from inside No. 21; it has a crown-post supporting a collar-purlin and side purlins supported on raking struts hal;ved over the crown-post braces. The added second floor is also jettied and has three gables towards the street. The wall posts have short ogee braces and the framing in the gables has parallel raking members of a type commonly found in West yorkshire. |There are carved barge-boards and bressumer. Both upper floors have 16th and 17th-century oriel windows; the best preserved, on the first floor, has ovolo mouldings and formerly carried a date, 1574, now obliterated. On the back elevation the top storey is jettied and gabled in the middle bay, but the N.E. Bay was rebuilt c. 1700 in brick, with a tumbled gable. The rear wing is in two bays, partly refaced with brick, and contains on the first floor a room fitted with early 17th-century run-through panelling and a carved chimney-piece with blind arcading on the overmantel. There is a staitcase of c. 1700 with bulbous balusters, and a few minor fittings of that date and of the early 19th century.
1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 228. London: RCHME
Mulberry Hall. This prominant block with exposed timber-framing with curved braces, is of the mid C15. Originally two-storey with a first floor jetty. A second floor, also jettied, was added in the late C16. Oriel windows to upper floors, the best preserved formerly bore the date 1574. The bressumer has elaborate carving as do the bargeboards on the three gables.
Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p234. London: Penguin
(SE 60255203-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. STONEGATE 5343 (south-east side)
Nos 17 and 19 (Mulberry Hall) (formerly listed as Nos 13, 14 and 15)
SE 6052 SW 27/580 14.6.54
Mid C15 with later alterations. Well restored. Timber frame and painted plaster 3 storeys; double oversailing upper storeys; 4 gables, 3 having carved bargeboards (those to No 19 plain); 6
oriel windows and 4 windows to 2nd storey, all with C18 glazing; good carved bressummer. The interior retains some original features and a staircase of circa 1700. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 478).
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p334 City of York, June 1983.
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061172 MULBERRY HALL, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
OP07981 A view looking south-west along Stonegate, York towards the junction with Little Stonegate, with a timber-framed, jettied house, with shopfronts on the ground floor in the foreground
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2020 6:33PM