Building record MYO798 - 13 Stonegate
|Centred SE 6022 5201 (1m by 0m)
|City of York, North Yorkshire
Type and Period (7)
- JETTIED HOUSE (Early C15, Medieval - 1400 AD to 1432 AD)
- HOUSE (Built c1600, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1580 AD to 1620 AD)
- HOUSE (Raised C17, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1600 AD to 1632 AD)
- SHOP (Altered c1800, Late C18 to Early C19 - 1780 AD to 1820 AD)
- FIGUREHEAD (C17, Post Medieval to Late C17 - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Built late C15, Medieval - 1467 AD to 1499 AD)
- SHOP (Built c1600, Post Medieval to Early C17 - 1590 AD to 1610 AD)
Formerly known as: No.27 LITTLE STONEGATE. Formerly known as: Nos.9, 10 AND 11 STONEGATE. Houses and shops; now one shop. Early C15 front range with parallel rear range c1600; later C15 range to Little Stonegate, raised in early C17; refronted and remodelled with new shopfronts c1800. All parts timber-framed and plastered; timber shops fronts and eaves cornice; tile and pantile roofs, with brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3-storey fronts, 3 bays to Stonegate, 1 bay to Little Stonegate, with first floor jettied on adjacent fronts: further 3-storey front of 2 gabled bays to Little Stonegate with both upper floors jettied. Corner dragon post cut away to house C17 mermaid figurehead. Stonegate front: centre bay has glazed and flush panelled door with radial fanlight and 3-light bow window with moulded cornice. Right bay has blocked door beneath fanlight to left of former window altered to glazed and sunk-panel door beneath plain overlight. Both shopfronts framed in sunk-panel pilasters beneath acanthus leaf consoles. Left bay has shopfront in plain surround with dentilled cornice with double doors, upper halves glazed in 6 panes over flush panel lower parts, beneath overlight with scrolled glazing bars; to right, small-pane canted bay window projects over flush panel riser.
First floor windows are tripartite with 12-pane centre sashes; second floor, 12-pane Yorkshire sashes, left end one blind. Moulded eaves cornice, returned over left side. Little Stonegate front: return of front range has 32-pane shop window over flush panel riser on ground floor, margin-glazed fixed light on first floor and 12-pane Yorkshire sash on second floor. Gabled range has door of 6 flush panels with radial fanlight to right of tripartite shop window with small-pane lights, partly blocked, and folding flush panelled shutter. Frames of all ground floor openings are fluted, with plain frieze blocks, the windows with moulded cornice. First floor windows are Yorkshire sashes each of 2 unequal lights: on second floor, one 12-pane sash, one 4-pane sash.
INTERIOR: ground floor of Stonegate range has reset Roman Doric portico with fluted columns and entablature. Rear range has mid C18 staircase with close string, turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and moulded handrail: also winder staircase with stick balusters and moulded ramped-up handrail: handsome marble fireplace with fluted shelf on ornate brackets and tiled side pieces. Little Stonegate range: steep newel staircase with stick balusters; fine stone fireplace with panelled jambs, moulded imposts, flat arched lintel and carved keyblock.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 227). Listing NGR: SE6022552010
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
(476) House and shop, No. 13, at the corner of Little Stonegate, of three storeys and attics, is timber-framed, plastered externally, and has pantiled roofs. There are three prioncipal periods of construction. The earliest part, a three-bay range along the Stonegate frontage, was built in the 15thcentury, with jkettied floors on two elevations, but the second floor was cut back, probably in the 18th century, and the first-floor external walls may have been altered, as the jetty is not of regular projection. The framing is not directly visible but cased posts, beams, and rails indicate the general arrangement. The roof has been rebuilt but one crown-post truss survives; this has cross-bracing and formerly supported centre and side-purlins. A two-bay range fronting Little Stonegate was built as a separate house in the late 15th or early 16th century.
Originally of two storeys, a third storey with prominant jetty and twin gables was added in the 17th century. Some framing is visible inside on the first floor, including downward braces in the side and rear walls, and the original roof-line can be seen at the S.E. end. The two earlier houses formed an L-shaped plan and the angle between was filled in by a third range in the 16th or early 17th century. This is of two unequal bays and was probably built as a rear addition to the range which fronts onto Stonegate, as it has corresponding floor levels. Several posts with enlarged heads and one cambered tie-beam are visible, and a room on the first floor contains a dado of 'run through' panelling. At least some of the 15th-century building must sdate from the time of Thomas Doncaster, who obtained a lease of this property from the Archdeacon of Richmond in 1423 for 99 years, and was excused the rent for it, possibly in exchange for building there (YCA, Memo. Book B/Y, ff 69v-70).
The whole complex was later much altered and in the early 19th century there were apparently three tenements, each with a separate staircase. The exterior has hung-sash and sliding-sash windows and a mopulded eaves cornice on the front range; on the ground floor are early 19th-centuryshop fronts and a carved ship's figurehead has been fixed to the massive corner post, below the dragon-beam. There are a number of Georgian fittings internally and a mid 18th-century staircase actually within the fabric of the adjacent house, No. 9 Stonegate. A portico in the Roman Doric order with two fluted columns and full entablature is reset inside the ground floor.
1981. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 227. London: RCHME
No.13 is an extensive timber-framed block of the C15 with rear wings of the C16 and C17. One crown-post truss survives. Rendered with early C19 shopfronts incorporating a pretty heart-shaped pattern to overlight and , at the corner below the dragon-beam, a carved ship's figurehead. Inside is a reset Roman Doric portico with fluted columns.
Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p234. London: Penguin
(SE 60235201-O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. STONEGATE (south-east side) 5343
No 13 (formerly listed as Nos 9, 10 and 11 Stonegate and No 27 Little Stonegate)
SE 6052 SW 27/578 14.6.54
C15 restored, and with later alterations. Timber frame plastered; 3 storeys plus attic; overhand at 1st storey brace of angle post on left-hand side with carved and painted figure in the form of a ship's figure-head thought to be a 'quarter gallery figure', probably from a Swedish ship of mid-late C17; 3, C18 three-light sash windows. The ground storey consists of early C19 shop fronts, one bow window (with glazing bars), one flat replacement window, one doorway with light cornice on consoles and radial fanlight, and larger doorway with foliated tracery in the large rectangular fanlight, and dentil cornice overall. A Roman Doric portico with full entablature is reset within the ground storey. On the return side in Little Stonegate is a rear wing which is a 3-storeyed timber-framed building of late C15 or early C16 origin with stucco rendering, double gables and oversailing upper storeys, all
with early C19 fenestration. The ground storey has a reeded pilaster doorcase on left-hand side with reeded frieze, and radial fanlight. To the right is a large flat display window with glazing bars, reeded pilasters and cornice over. Interior has some exposed timber frame at 1st storey. This building is partly integrated internally with Nos 9, 9A and 11 (q.v.). It also incorporates the former No 27 Little Stonegate. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 476).
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest p333-34 City of York, June 1983
2 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997
BF061169 13 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
2015, 13 Stonegate Heritage Statement (Unpublished document). SYO1748.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2020 4:18PM