Building record MYO781 - 45-47 Stonegate


Formerly known as 28-9 Stonegate. A pair of houses built in therearly 18th century, with later 18th century alterations. Shopfronts were inserted in the mid 19th century and have been altered in the 20th century.


Grid reference Centred SE 6030 5207 (18m by 16m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Formerly known as: Nos.28 AND 29 STONEGATE. Pair of houses, now two shops. Early C18 with later C18 alteration and mid C19 shopfronts, altered. Front of orange-red brick in Flemish bond, rear of random bond; timber cornice and brick stacks to pantile roof.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-bay front. Shopfronts framed in plain pilasters beneath plain cornice on scroll consoles. Two part-glazed doors with overlights in centre flanked by small-pane bow window with panelled frieze to right and plate glass window to left. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars; on second floor, squatter 12-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick with painted stone double keyblocks. Broad raised band, painted, to second floor. Heavy moulded and modillioned eaves cornice. Rear: 3 storeys with altered windows, most retaining segmental arches. Raised brick bands to first and second floors, and to eaves beneath corbelled brick cornice.

INTERIOR: No.45: in cellar, wide segment-arched brick fireplace retaining part of cooking range. Altered staircase rises from first floor to attics: lower flights have open strings, alternately twisted and turned balusters, and heavy ramped handrail, wreathed at foot around turned newel on shaped curtail step: top flights have close string, turned balusters and square newels with attached half balusters. From first floor landing, 6-panel doors in panelled reveals lead to front and rear rooms. Front room is fitted with fielded panelling above moulded and enriched dado rail; moulded and dentilled cornice. Stone fireplace surround carved with fielded panels and shell keyblock has hob grate: to right, alcove cupboard fitted with shaped shelves. Door architraves are carved with egg and flower ornament. Second floor: 3-panel doors on L-hinges lead to front and back rooms. Front room has plain painted stone fireplace with cast-iron grate, rear room moulded fireplace with cornice shelf and basket grate. Both rooms have moulded cornices. In front room, left return wall to No.43 (qv) is visible, including part of timber window surround. Attic has plank and batten doors on L-hinges. No.47: similar staircase with more elaborate balusters, reset. First floor landing has door with C19 painted glass panel, possibly by JW Knowles.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 234). Listing NGR: SE6029852076

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(492) House, Nos. 45, 47, a three-storeyed pair, each with a central top-lit staircase and a single room to front and rear, were built in the second quarter of the 18th century and described in 1747 as a 'messuage divided into two tenements, newly rebuilt by John Blanshard' (YCA, E93, f. 188). Both houses have been modified, particularly on the ground floor, but the original staircases remain from the first floor upwards and the first-floor saloon in No. 45 is a well preserved example of a fully panelled room.

The four-bay front elevation, of red brick in Flemish bond, with a stone band at second-floor level, has 19th-century shop fronts to the ground floor and hung-sash windoes with flat arches of guaged brickwork and stone double key-blocks above; the original sashes survive on the second floor. The rear elevation, also of brick, has plat-bands at first and second-floor levels, some original openingswith segmantal arches of common bricks and a corbelled brick cornice.

Inside, the original staircases rise about open wells; they have open strings, one twisted and one plain baluster to each tread, and substantial ramped handrails. The attic flights have close strings; that in No. 45 has plain balusters similar to those in the lower flights and that in No. 47 is a fully panelled room with plain dado, moulded rail with Vitruvian scroll ornament and single-height fielded panels above. The fireplace has a stone surround with fielded panels and shell motif on the key-block; the enricched dentil cornice is an addition. The door architraves are enriched with egg-and-flower motifs. On the first-floor landing of No. 47 some 19th-century painted glass is set into a door.

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York. Volume V, the Central Area. P 228. London: RCHME

Nos. 45-47, of red brick in Flemish bond, were desribed as 'newly rebuilt' in 1747. Both houses retain contemporary fittings including staircases, fireplaces and doorways.

Pevsner N and Neave D 1972. The Buildings of England:Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, p235. London: Penguin

NMR Information

Full description

(SE 60305208 - O.S 1/2500, 1962)

1. STONEGATE 5343 (south-east side)

Nos 45 and 47 (formerly listed as Nos 28 and 29)

SE 6052 SW 27/593 14.6.54


Circa 1745 with later alterations. Brick; 3 storeys; 4 sash windows with triple keyblocks and flat brick arches; stone band at 2nd floor; heavy modillion eaves cornice. No 45 has a large C18 bow
window to ground storey and No 47 a C19 shop window with modern glazing.

Interior retains original staircase in each house and other early features. (RCHM Vol V, Monument 492).

List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p340 City of York, June 1983.
List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of York, 14-MAR-1997

BF061193 45-47 STONEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.

NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jun 22 2020 1:14PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.