Building record MYO770 - 1-9 The Avenue


Nos. 1 – 9 The Avenue, Clifton is a grade II listed 3 storey terrace of houses designed by the local Arts and Craft Architects WG Penty and his son AJ Penty. The land was purchased in 1896 jointly by Mr William Thomlinson Walker and Frederick Shepherd. The firm of W Thomlinson Walker was a well known artistic iron foundery and smithy for whom W G Penty was principal draughtsman from 1871-73 prior to setting up the architectural practice Penty & Penty in 1875. The area was developed slowly from around 1880 and WG Penty designed and built the familial home ‘The Rise’ on the left hand corner plot of The Avenue.


Grid reference SE 5942 5279 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

Terrace of 9 houses, one now guest house, some flats. 1880-90; later alterations. By WG and A Penty. MATERIALS: ground floor at front is of red brick in English garden-wall bond, first floor tile hung, with canted bays white-washed and rough cast; rear of buff brick in English garden-wall bond. Front roof of tile, rear of slate, with flat dormers and brick stacks with deep stepped cornices. Eaves at front are sprocketed and overhang on shaped timber brackets; gables have fish-scale tiles in the apex and narrow plain bargeboards. Original cast-iron guttering carried on cast-iron brackets. STYLE: Domestic Revival. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics; 19 bays. Each house has 2-bay front, one bay of each is treated as a 2-storey canted bay, all except in Nos 4, 5 and 6 gabled with the adjacent bay and breaking slightly forward: No.5 is double fronted, triple gabled and projects to form centrepiece. Original front doors are glazed in small panes and panelled, and set beneath small-pane overlights in part glazed screens. Porches are either segmental hoods on carved brackets or pent and cantilevered on shaped braces. Doors to Nos 1 and 9 are in right and left returns respectively and have flat canopy porches on shaped braces. Ground and first floor windows in canted bays are of 5 lights with additional half lights at each end, beneath moulded cornices. Nos 1 and 9 have additional 4-light ground floor windows beneath segmental arches: first floor windows over these are of 4 lights, over doors of 2 lights. Original ground floor windows are plain casements with 4-pane top-hung lights above a transom: first floor windows are of 2 tiers of small 4-pane casements. Gabled attics have 3-light 8-pane casement windows; flat dormers 6-pane casement windows of 2 or 3 lights. Nos 6 and 7 only have some replacement windows. INTERIORS: not inspected. An extremely well preserved and early example of the Domestic Revival style, applied to a late Victorian terrace by an important local firm of architects.
Listing NGR: SE5942252796

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Oct 13 2016 11:07AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.