No summary available.


Grid reference SE 5992 5170 (point)
Map sheet SE55SE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Hotel, with basement area railings attached at front; now offices. c1850, with C20 alteration. Red brick in Flemish bond with painted stone doorcase and dressings; boldly projecting timber cornice on modillion consoles, returned at left end; double span roof of slate, hipped at left end, with brick stacks. Railings of painted cast-iron on stone plinth. EXTERIOR: basement and 4 storeys; 9-window front. Basement windows are 16-pane sashes with painted stone sills and plain impost band stepped and chamfered over windowheads to form lintels. Central portico of detached rusticated Tuscan columns surmounted by balcony balustrade of bulbous balusters: double doors each of 3 raised and fielded panels under plain fanlight in round-arched doorcase of alternately long and short voussoirs. On ground floor, windows are 4-pane sashes over moulded sill band; on first floor, of 3 lights with centre casements and brick sills; on second and third floors, 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars, squatter on third floor, those on second floor over plain sill band and on third floor over moulded sill band. All windows have flat arches of gauged brick. On first floor, cantilevered balcony with moulded arris survives, without balustrade. Rear: at right angles to front range, 1-storey service wing with three 16-pane sash windows with stone sills and flat arches of brick. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: front railings and standards on low plinth are turned, railings with conical tips, standards with acanthus bud finials. Building was originally 'The George Hotel', latterly 'The North Eastern'. (Murray H: Nathaniel Whittock's Bird's-eye View of the City of York in 1850: York: 1988-: 43).
Listing NGR: SE5992251708

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

The building was the north eastern hotel constructed in 1854-5, pursdhased by North Eastern Railway in 1899 and adapted as offices. Now No.37, tanner row

Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair, 2013, YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013 (Report). SYO1457.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Report: Dr Bill Fawcett, John A Ives and Alison Sinclair. 2013. YORK CENTRAL AUDIT OF HERITAGE ASSETS,NOVEMBER 2013.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 30 2014 5:24PM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.