No summary available.


Grid reference SE 5877 4968 (point)
Map sheet SE54NE
Civil Parish York, City of York, North Yorkshire


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Parish church. 1847-9 by Vickers and Hugall of Pontefract. Vestry enlarged 1902, and spire renewed 1970. MATERIALS: squared limestone, with green slate roofs. Fibreglass spire. PLAN: the church has an aisleless nave, west bell turret, north porch, lower chancel, and south-east vestry. EXTERIOR: the west wall has diagonal buttresses, and a central buttress reducing in 4 stages. To each side there is a moulded pointed window of 2 lights with Geometrical tracery. At the apex of the gable there is a 4-sided bell turret, set diagonally and carried on moulded corbelling. Its lowest stage has a clock face facing north-west, and the bell openings are pointed and cusped. The spire is of fibreglass imitating ashlar. The south wall of the nave is of 4 bays separated by buttresses. The windows are moulded and pointed and have Geometrical tracery. Except for the western window, which is of one light, they are of 2 lights. The north wall of the nave has 2 similar windows. The gabled porch has a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts which have foliated caps, and with C20 glazed doors. Below the apex of the gable there is a niche with a statue of St Edward the Confessor. The north wall of the chancel has two 2-light windows with more elaborate mouldings which include ball flower decoration and with hood moulds which have head stops. The east window of the chancel is of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery and has ornamentation which includes ball flower decoration and shafts with foliated caps. The south wall of the vestry has windows with plain pointed lights, of 2 lights to the left of the door and one to the right. The east wall of the vestry has a flat head and 2 trefoiled ogee lights. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record the interior as painted and gilded, with painted texts and inscribed scrolls in relief: Minton tiled floor. Nave roof supported on demi-angel holding shields. FITTINGS: include octagonal stone pulpit and font, wooden pews and carved choir stalls. The stained glass was designed for the church by William Wailes, 1849. Memorial window of 1932 to Mrs G Brierley by Bewsey. MONUMENTS: include: in Vestry, monument to Samuel Francis Barlow, 1800, removed from earlier chapel: white on grey marble with fluted base, moulded cornice, with draped urn on
pedestal between two flaming lamps, signed Wm.Stead, York. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 288; RCHME: City of York: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 38-40).
Listing NGR: SE5877149689

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

Sources/Archives (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Nov 6 2019 11:11AM


Your feedback is welcome; if you can provide any new information about this record, please contact the City Archaeologist.