Building record MYO739 - 82-6 The Mount
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5951 5122 (20m by 20m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House, later divided into 2 houses; now house and part of bank. Late C17, re-fronted early C19, and altered 1963. Yellow-red brick. Pantiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and 3 bays. The timber casement cross windows have glazing bars and painted rendered lintels. The right-hand window on the ground floor is a restoration dating from 1963 when a shopfront was removed. The central bay contains a doorcase with a fluted surround and console brackets supporting a frieze and cornice. Above the door, which has 6 raised and fielded panels, is a fanlight: to the left a second door, inserted in 1963, of 6 panels under a semicircular head with fanlight. The attic is lit by 2 flat-roofed dormers. 2 ridge chimneys, one to each side of the central bay.
INTERIORS: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 65).
Listing NGR: SE5952051231
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Nos 82,84, 86 The Mount was built in the late 17th century on an L-shaped plan. It appears clearly on the view of York by John Haynes engraved in 1731, but not on any of the prospects taken from the same poit by Gregory King., William Lodge or Francis Place between 1666 and 1678. It was proabably the messuage with an orchard, gardens, tard etc which descended from William Pemberton, merchant, grocer of York (free of the City 1695, and Chamberlain 1699) to his relatives the Geldart family, and sold to William Smith in 1750. It was then said to have been lately in the occupation of Mr Abbercromby (YCA E.93, f.244). By 1778 (York Minster Library, Terriers, k2) the property was owned and occupied by Mr Ikin (?William Atkin) and c.1835 was taken by Robert Davies the Town Clerk, who in 1851 built his own large house, Nos 88, 90 on the garden to S. Later in the century the house bevame the home of Davies's sister, Mrs Skaife, and her son Robert Hardistry Skaife, the antiquary. Earlier in the century there had been substantial additions and alterations including the provision of two staircases, probably to fit the house for the occupation by members of the Davies and Skaife families. By 1847 it was described as 'two comfortabke dwelling houses with spacious garden'.
The street front is an early 19th century symettrical facafe in yellow-red brick. In 1962 modern shop front was removed from No 82 and the sash windows replaced with modern casements. A second front door, to No.86, was inserted in 1963. The steep pitched pantile roof has two small square modern dormers, now modern reconstructions. The rear elevation includes the stuccoed end of a 17th cetury range with a Dutch gable having a pediment at the head and curved sides. The south elevation has a stuccoed ground floor with three modern windows, and a first floor of rather narrow red brick in mixed bond, with some lines of headers, having two 19th century sash windows in old openings to E and a blocked window to W. The S gable of the front range, now masked, has an attic window with ovolo-moulded brick cornice. The gable has a coping with, at the bottom of the W side, a badly weathered Classical woman's head, the hair arranged in cable fashion, of dark gritstone and most probably Roman.
Internally the fittings are mostly of the late 18thand early 19th century. In the attics some 17th century oak rafters and purlins of broad flat section are visible.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972. Monument 49.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060892 82-86 THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse, Monument 49 (Monograph). SYO64.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 10:00AM