Building record MYO728 - 134 The Mount
|Grid reference||SE 5941 5111 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, now hotel. Mid and late C19. Yellow brick with painted dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic and cellars. The right-hand half of the facade has a brick and painted stone or stucco sashed canted bay window with openings at cellar, ground and first-floor level and with a cornice above the 1st floor. The 2nd floor has two C20 casement windows. The left-hand half of the facade has a sashed window at 1st floor level above the doorway, and a canted oriel at 2nd floor level which has sashes without glazing bars. The attic has two C20 flat-roofed dormers with casements. The door has 3 panels with a plain semicircular overlight and a plain painted surround with a cornice on brackets. It is reached by external steps, renewed in concrete. Chimneys at left, near centre of ridge, and shared at right.
INTERIOR: not inspected. Included for group value as an integral part of the early C19 houses on The Mount.
Listing NGR: SE5941451114
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
The original house at 134 The Mount was built in 1824 - 25 as indicated
in the first conveyance of January 1925, as one of three houses by the same developer. The 1852
mapping indicates important detail on the outside layout of gardens and paths on the corner plot and
its immediate trio composition. A circular garden feature shows on every house down the whole
terrace, this is now a lost feature.
At 134 a path is shown running parallel with Mount Parade, an intricate rear garden layout of flower
beds with no outbuildings shown but on the north west corner a building that sits on the line of
another path from the rear service lane to the boundary of 132, indicating a likely servant access at
this point into the basement not evidenced today in the existing plans.
There is evidence in the deeds and a will that the house was built by James Dalby who died in 1833.
In its original form the house was built for rental, also evidenced in the Royal Commission Survey as
being common practice, and occupied by a tenant who continued living there until it was sold in 1851
to Mr Thomas Cabry, a senior engineer with the NE Railway company. The enlargement of the house
to its present size took place in the period between 1851 and before 1896 by Mr Cabry, the house
was then sold in July 1897 having been extensively enlarged to the front side and rear and completely
re-skinned to the front elevation in yellow brick.
In 1901 The Mount Junior School and Kindergarten moved into 134 The Mount, close to the main
girls school at Dalton Terrace where it had moved to in August 1857. The use of 134 The Mount as a
school continued with few internal alterations to the room layout, until the mid twentieth century
when it came back into residential use and subsequently hotel use until 2018. As far as can be
deduced the school occupied the building in its enlarged form that appears for the first time on the
1891 Ordnance Survey and is shown as school on the 1909 Ordnance survey. From 1909 through to
the 1950s the building is not shown on OS mapping with any other use.
The 1891 mapping shows a further amount of important detail. For the first time we see the house
has been extended to fill the whole of the side garden right up to the back of the pavement to
Mount Parade. The length of the new extension is longer than the original back line of the house and
overlaps the original accommodation on the boundary of 132. A glasshouse has appeared in the
garden at the rear and the rear path to the basement disappears. A small indentation on the west
elevation to Mount Parade marks the position of a side entrance into the house, more evident from
the current elevations where the former entrance is now blocked in. In the basement this is also
evidenced by stone steps in the wine cellar rising from basement level to the ground floor.
Other enlargements and alterations not shown on OS mapping but on the current existing plans
show how the house was modified and improved as bay windows were added to the front ( note not
added to 130 and 132 ) and to the rear and other small extensions at second floor.
Heritage Statement 2020 Native Architects
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2020 12:17PM