Building record MYO691 - 8 and 8A Walmgate (formerly no 6)
|Grid reference||SE 6063 5165 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
- HOUSE (Early- Mid C18, Late C17 to Mid C18 - 1700 AD to 1766 AD)
- HOUSE (Later alterations, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- SHOP (C20, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1999 AD)
- RAINWATER HEAD (1767, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1767 AD)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Built early-mid 18C, Late C17 to Mid C18 - 1700 AD to 1766 AD)
Formerly known as: No.6 WALMGATE. Pair of houses, now two shops. Mid C18 with later alteration and C20 shopfronts. Orange brick in Flemish bond with timber eaves cornice; hipped pantile roof with end stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-window front. Shopfronts incorporate upstairs access door at left end. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes, second floor windows squat 4-pane sashes, all with painted stone sills and cambered brick arches. Moulded dentil and modillion eaves cornice, returned at right end, with two inverted bell rainwater heads, one embossed with cherub head, the other dated 1767. First and second floor raised bands of 5 brick courses, that on first floor broken by later shopfront. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).
Listing NGR: SE6063851658
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related event 613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey 1995
Related object BF061233 6-8 WALMGATE, YORK
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 6 2020 11:13AM