Building record MYO679 - 35-37 Walmgate

Summary

Built circa 1740, though the buildings may be of earlier origin. Number 37 was sub-divided, extended and converted into a public house (The City Arms) in 1830-40. Further alterations took place in the late 19th century and in the 20th century the buildings became a shop and an electricity sub station.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 6070 5159 (20m by 15m)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

House; now shop and electricity sub-station. c1740 with earlier origins; No.37 sub-divided, converted to public house (The City Arms) and extended 1830-40; later C19 alteration and further alteration in C20. MATERIALS: timber-framed core; ground floor on stone plinth beneath timber shopfront to No.35, glazed brick inn front to No.37; first floor of incised render with brick dentil cornice. Extension to No.37 stuccoed. Steeply pitched slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 2-storey 3-window front. Shopfront to No.35 framed in pilasters with moulded imposts beneath fascia and moulded frieze: half-glazed and panelled door beneath divided overlight to left of plate glass window. Inn front to No.37 has pilasters with moulded faience imposts beneath plain frieze and fluted timber cornice between bulbous brackets with gablets; 4-panel door beneath overlight of coloured leaded glass, to right of other openings, now boarded-up. First floor windows are 2-light casements with divided transom lights, over raised band.

INTERIOR: not fully inspected. RCHM record elements of timber-frame visible in various parts of building. Both houses have staircases, one C18 with turned balusters and deep handrail, reset. On first floor: No.35 has fireplace with hob grate in rear room; No.37 has similar fireplace in rear room; moulded cornice to landing; in front room door is of 6 fielded panels.

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237).
Listing NGR: SE6070451596

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(529) House, Nos. 35, 37, in the angle between Walmgate and Dennis Street, was built as a two-storey timber-framed structure perhaps in the 16th century and a timber-framed wing was added to the S.W. soon after. In c. 1740 the front was rebuilt in brick and the interior remodelled. Early in the 19th century a wing was added behind the S.E. end and facing Dennis Street. Late in the same century the side of the original house facing Dennis Street was rebuilt and the front remodelled with shop windows. No. 37 was later gutted to form an electricity sub-station.

Of the original timber framing only a few posts and beams are visible; in the S.W. wing the corner-posts are enlarged to carry the cross-beams; the walls were close-studded without jetties. An 18th-century staircase in the central entrance hall has been rearranged.

City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 237

NMR Information

BF061248 35-37 WALMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 6 2020 2:31PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.