Monument record MYO5050 - 3 Feasegate
|Grid reference||SE 6031 5185 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
(158) House, No. 3, of four storeys, was built in 1770. The site, together with that of No. 1, had been bought in 1760 by Thomas Woodhouse, and the new house was sold by his executor, James Woodhouse, in November 1770 (YCA, E94, f. 116v). It is now a shop, for which purpose the lower floors have been modernised, but earlier in the 20th century it was the King's Head Hotel. The front elevation, of brick in Flemish bond, is of three bays and has a plat-band and sill-band at the second floor, windows with flat arches of gauged brick, and a rainwater head with the date of erection. The back elevation has windows with segmental arches of common brick. Inside, the plan is unusual in a relatively small house in having the staircase placed centrally at the rear with small rooms to each side of it. The dog-leg stair, with standard late 18th-century turned balusters, survives from the first floor upwards. There are some original fittings on the upper floors, including a fireplace with moulded stone surround on the second floor. Demolished 1977.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
Name Kings Head Hotel
Alternate Name (Former): The King's Head Hotel
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060545 3 FEASEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2020 4:19PM