Building record MYO5049 - 1 St Sampson's Square and 1 Feasegate
|Grid reference||SE 6031 5186 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
(157) House, No. 1, with No. 1 St. Sampson's Square, was built in 1770 by Robert Woodhouse, replacing one bought by Thomas Woodhouse in 1760 (YCA, E94, f. 31; E97, ff. 250v-251v); this and the adjoining house, No. 3, are among the earliest four-storey Georgian houses in the city. It has been much altered on the ground and first floors for use as a shop. There are elevations of two and three bays to Feasegate and St. Sampson's Square respectively, of brick in Flemish bond; the windows have wide-spreading flat arches of gauged brick, but only one retains original glazing bars; a rainwater head bears the date of erection and initials REW. Inside, only a few original fittings survive on the upper floors; the staircase, from second to third floors only, has slender turned balusters and square, fluted newel-posts.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
BF061089 1 ST SAMPSONS SQUARE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2020 4:02PM