Monument record MYO4992 - Goodramgate
|Grid reference||SE 6048 5214 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (1)
The name, derived from the Danish personal name Gutherun or Guthrum, is first recorded in 1177–81. Most of the street lay in the parish of Holy Trinity, the church being set back on the W. side and concealed by Lady Row (222), a range of cottages built on its churchyard in 1316. In 1771 the S. end of the street was widened on the W. side between Petergate and Holy Trinity churchyard. Some fine 15th-century houses remain on the E. side but lesser timber-framed buildings were destroyed when Deangate was made in 1903. More recently, two large supermarkets have been built in the street and the most prominent building is a lofty furniture store. Some lanes still run E. from Goodramgate to St. Andrewgate; one, the former Bakers' Lane, has been shown by excavation to have had a mediaeval origin.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 5, Central. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
BF086952 GOODRAMGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2020 11:16AM