Building record MYO4926 - Clarence House, Clarence Street
|Grid reference||SE 6025 5254 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Clarence House is a detached house of three storeys and attics built to an irregular plan in c. 1830. It was called Clarence Cottage in 1838, when it was occupied by Mrs. Eleanor Wilson, and in 1843 and 1846, when it was occupied by Thomas Meynell Esq., Secretary to the Philosophical Society (Directories), and in 1850 (OS).
The front elevation is of three bays, with continuous sillbands to the first and second-floor windows; the central window on the second floor is a dummy. The central doorway has side pilasters and a small hood supported on coarse console brackets. The eaves project boldly. Demolished.
'Houses: Clarence Street', in An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (London, 1975), pp. 63-64. Monument 62
BF060435 CLARENCE HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 1 2020 11:39AM