Building record MYO4846 - White House Inn
|Grid reference||SE 5910 5057 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (8)
- HOUSE (Built C17, C17 - 1601 AD to 1700 AD)
- INN (1731, Early C18 - 1731 AD to 1731 AD)
- INN (Late C18, Late C18 - 1767 AD to 1799 AD)
- KENNELS (C19, C19 - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (C19, C19 - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- STARCH MILL (c19, C19 - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Demolished 1955, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1955 AD)
- LAUNDRY (Demolished 1955, Late C19 to C20 - 1900 AD to 1955 AD)
The original two storey house was built in the 17th century, in 1731 it was know as the New Inn. In the later 18th century a block was added to the north end and a range added to the west side at this end and the whole house remodelled inside and out. A one storey extension was built in the 19th century which filled the gap in the west side between the original house and the 18th century range. It was know as Gallows House. In the 19th century it was used as a starch factory, the kennels of the York and Ainsty Hunt and an inn again as the White House Inn. It then became a laundry and was then divided into two house, it was demolished in 1955.
Name: White House Inn
Alternate Name (Former) Gallows House
Alternate Name (Former) New Inn
Alternate Name (Former) The Gallows House
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF061206 THE WHITE HOUSE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
- --- SYO2214 Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2020 2:15PM