Building record MYO4833 - 110 The Mount
|Grid reference||SE 5947 5116 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
Nos. 110, 110A The Mount, was built early in the 18th century and appears on John Haynes's view of York of 1731 (Plate 2) as the next house downhill from the old hospital of St. Catherine. In the last quarter of the century it was occupied by John Simpson, a farmer (York Minister Library, Terriers, K.2; parish registers). Early in the 19th century the house was altered and most of the fireplaces inserted; for about a century it remained a residence and from 1896 to 1906 was the home of William Angus Clarke, manager of the alpine department of James Backhouse & Co., the nurserymen; later the ground floor was converted to form a shop (Directories; Voters' Lists).
The colour-washed front elevation had 19th-century and modern features but retained a three-course band beneath the attic storey, heightened c. 1860. The rear elevation shows the original reddish-yellow brick. Original internal fittings include the staircase with square newel and turned balusters, and doors with two large fielded panels and angle hinges.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in City of York, Volume 3, South west. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1972. Monument 51.
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060899 110-110A THE MOUNT, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 1:13PM