Monument record MYO4803 - Queen's Hotel

Summary

Numbers 3, 5, 7 and 9 Micklegate, three storey brick building built by Alderman Thompson circa 1730.

Location

Grid reference Not recorded
Map sheet Not recorded
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

No mapped location recorded.

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

II* No. 3 MICKLEGATE (S.SIDE)
II* No. 5
II* Nos. 7 and 9
(The Queen's Hotel)

3-storey C18 brick, double string between the storeys, dentil eaves cornice, 10 windows. The ground storey is divided:- Nos. 3 and 5: shop front of C19 design, pedimented entrance and flanking shop windows, entablature, on Ionic pilasters. Nos. 7, 9: Hotel entrance of Ionic pilasters, pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice, segmental pediment. Queen's Hotel has a very fine interior. Built by Alderman Thompson circa 1730. (1)

1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest

BF060794 3-5 MICKLEGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building.

Information from NMR

Houses, Nos. 3, 5 and the Queen's Hotel, were built by Mr. Henry Thompson (1677–1760) of Kirby Hall and Alderman Richard Thompson (d. 1753), the latter being Lord Mayor in 1708 and 1721; the family were wine merchants (Davies, 187). The building was completed by 1727, when it is shown on Cossins's plan (Fig. 49), and is described as 'new built' in 1736 (Drake, 280). It is probably on the site of the 'stone house' of Roger de Cnarresburg which abutted on the corner property given to Fountains Abbey early in the 13th century (W. T. Lancaster (ed.), Abstracts of the Charters . . . in the Chartulary of . . . Fountains (Leeds, 1915), 1, 277), for mediaeval masonry is still incorporated in a wing behind Nos. 3, 5. Evidence exists of another earlier structure (possibly late 16th-century) incorporated at the back of the Queen's Hotel, and a wing at the rear of Nos. 3, 5 is late 17th-century. Nos. 3, 5 remained in the Thompson family until 1788, when this part was sold to William Wallis, grocer, already in occupation. After being a grocer's residence, it became a grocer's shop by 1834 (Directories). In 1830–45 Nos. 7, 9 were occupied by Miss Alicia Rawdon (YCA, E.98, the original plan of either house on the ground floor, the first-floor suite of rooms of the Queen's Hotel is an outstanding example of early 18th-century craftsmanship of high quality.

RCHME Volume 3 Monument 55


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1972, RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO64.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1972. RCHME City of York Volume III South-west of the Ouse.

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Feb 4 2020 11:42AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.