Monument record MYO4254 - Ann Harrison's Hospital
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6061 5255 (150m by 133m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Victoria County History, 1961, A History of the County of York: the City of York, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/city-of-york/pp420-440 (Bibliographic reference). SYO1174.
ANN HARRISON'S HOSPITAL, in Penley's Grove Street, was built in 1845, and contained eight single-story tenements of brick and stone, with a central chapel. (fn. 106) The chapel ceased to be used for services before 1900. The charity was established by deeds of 1833 and 1839 for 8 poor Anglican women over 50. In 1946 the inmates each received a stipend of £2 a month.
¶The hospital was endowed on foundation with £6,479 stock, bought with the residue of an accumulating building fund given by the founder. Further bequests were made by G. J. Wolstenholme, by will proved in 1945, and Mary F. V. Chadwick, by will proved in 1947, and in 1956 the trustees received an income of £252 from £8,223 stock. Bertha Swift, by will proved in 1947, left £100, the capital and income to be distributed to the inmates at 5s. a month each, as long as the fund survived.
- --- SYO1174 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History. 1961. A History of the County of York: the City of York. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/city-of-york/pp420-440.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Oct 5 2017 4:05PM