Building record MYO3897 - 20-27 Marygate

Summary

Two-three storey 19th century buildings including several commercial premises. Described as Buildings of Merit in the Historic Core Conservation Area Appraisal. Surveyed December 2014: 20-22, The Coach House Hotel. End terrace hotel with numerous extensions and subsequent adaptations. Red brick external elevations. Some cambered brick arches to openings. Clay pantile roof to front elevation. Pantile & slate to rear. Numerous elevation modifications to create matching elevations around single front entrance. Upper floors- guest bedrooms. Fair condition. No.24 The Minster Inn (see MYO 4002). No.26, three storey. In use as Post Office Social Club. Brick inner ‘on street’ terrace with archway through to service yard. Multiple extensions and detached secondary building at rear. Mottled Red Brick/ Rough red brick segmental arches to windows and quoins. Slate roof. Windows blanked out at second storey front. Fair condition. Collapsing arches noted. Upperfloors: in use. No 27: Three storeys, formerly Manor School building (1922) now adapted and divided into office units with access through archway to rear yard. Built of brick elevation to front and side incorporating bring string courses, rough and full 180 degree segmental arches. Large feature windows to front school room areas. Slate roof. Rendered walls & concrete roof to rear. Timber windows. Inscription at front reads ‘The Manor School’ Founded 1812, Removed from this site from The Kings Manor House 1922 through the efforts of The late Frederick James Manby. Retains original features including stone cantilevered stairs, timber boarding and open roof structure at second floor. Good-fair condition. Upper floors: part let and reconfigured.

Location

Grid reference Centred SE 5990 5227 (47m by 47m)
Map sheet SE55SE
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Two-three storey 19th century buildings including several commercial premises. Described as Buildings of Merit in the Historic Core Conservation Area Appraisal.

Surveyed December 2014: 20-22, The Coach House Hotel. End terrace hotel with numerous extensions and subsequent adaptations. Red brick external elevations. Some cambered brick arches to openings. Clay pantile roof to front elevation. Pantile & slate to rear. Numerous elevation modifications to create matching elevations around single front entrance. Upper floors- guest bedrooms. Fair condition.

No.24 The Minster Inn (see MYO 4002).

No.26, three storey. In use as Post Office Social Club. Brick inner ‘on street’ terrace with archway through to service yard. Multiple extensions and detached secondary building at rear.
Mottled Red Brick/ Rough red brick segmental arches to windows and quoins. Slate roof. Windows blanked out at second storey front. Fair condition. Collapsing arches noted. Upperfloors: in use. The building was bought by the Post office in the 1970 and converted to be a Club House for workers.

The external façade is largely as built in c1876. The building is in brick with
decorative banding and window surrounds in red brick. At the eaves is a stepped
decorative brick cornice. Windows are timber sashes, original first and second floor,
but new at ground level. The window openings have large projecting stone cills.There have been alterations to the original house at ground level. A large decorative
3-arched timber window may have been introduced as a ‘shop-front’, the ‘showroom’
created to display the boys joinery work. Later on the ‘shop-front’ may have been
altered when the Post office Club lounge was created. The brickwork below cill level
is in modern red brick, not matching the host property.

No 27: Three storeys, formerly Manor School building (1922) now adapted and divided into office units with access through archway to rear yard. Built of brick elevation to front and side incorporating bring string courses, rough and full 180 degree segmental arches. Large feature windows to front school room areas. Slate roof. Rendered walls & concrete roof to rear. Timber windows. Inscription at front reads ‘The Manor School’ Founded 1812, Removed from this site from The Kings Manor House 1922 through the efforts of The late Frederick James Manby. Retains original features including stone cantilevered stairs, timber boarding and open roof structure at second floor. Good-fair condition. Upper floors: part let and reconfigured.

NMR information:

No.20. 20 Marygate: a two storey house built c.1800, now part of a hotel.
No 22. 22 Marygate: two storey house, built c.1850, now part of a hotel.

NMR related event 613515 RCHME Architectural Survey 1995


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

May 24 2020 11:04AM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.