Monument record MYO3669 - St Nicholas Leper Hospital
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6167 5129 (109m by 67m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
The exact date of foundation is uncertain: in 1291 it was stated that the hospital had been built on land given by Stephen, first Abbot of St. Mary's (1088-1112); but it appears likely that the original grantee was, in fact, Abbot Savary (1132-61) who gave 12 acres of land, a dwelling and yard, a carucate of land near the Foss and 2 acres for a vegetable garden; this gift was confirmed by Abbot Clement (1161-84). There were no remains in 1958 Source 'The sites and remains of the religious houses', A History of the County of York: the City of York (1961), pp. 357-365. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=36374&strquery=St Nicholas Date accessed: 06 December 2012.
One thirteenth-century master of St. Nicholas’, York, admitted thirty-six brethren and sisters, of whom four were received pro Deo, because they were lepers, but the rest for money. This practice was sadly common, and notorious instances might be cited from Lincoln (Holy Innocents’), London (St. Giles’), and Oxford (St. Bartholomew’s)." from Medieval Hospitals of England, Mary Clay Rotha, at http://www.historyfish.net/clay/clay_hospitals_four.html
VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION OS 1/1250, 1962.
2 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION Md. Rel. Houses,1953,p.323, (Knowles & Hadcock)
3 VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION VCH,York City,1961,p.365. (Allison)
4 Field Investigators Comments F1 RL 04-JUN-63
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
YAT, nd, 148 Lawrence Street (Unpublished document). SYO1359.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2020 11:45AM