Monument record MYO3621 - Roman Cemetery- The Avenue, Clifton
Late 3rd-4th century Roman inhumations and cremations are recorded from The Avenue and the area to the SE. 1813 two uninscribed stone coffins were found near the present St Olaves school each containing a skeleton. In 1881 finds made in a field next to St Olave's School included three skulls and seven cinerary urns. None are identifiable in the Yorkshire Museum. In the same area two complete cinerary urns and fragments of others were found in 1927 (RCHME VOL 1, p74). A further twenty burials were observed at Wentworth House in 1999.
|Grid reference||Centred SE 5939 5272 (108m by 126m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
[SE 5940 5270] Antiquity symbol shown but no legend. (1)
[SE 594 527] Late 3rd-4th C. Roman inhumations and cremations recorded [Sited from map]. (2)
1 Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) OS 6" 1958
2 The City of York. Volume 1: Eboracum: Roman York: Addendum 74 Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, England
RCHME, 1962, Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York, Volume 1 Eboracum, p74 (Bibliographic reference). SYO62.
YAT, 1999, Wentworth House The Avenue Clifton (Unpublished document). SYO412.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Jan 6 2020 12:17PM