Building record MYO1827 - 25 Bootham
|Grid reference||Centred SE 6007 5230 (21m by 25m)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (4)
House, now shop and offices. 1766, altered and extended mid/late C19. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stucco dressings and cast-iron ornamentation.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys plus attic. 7 bays. A difference in brick colour suggests that the 2 left-hand bays are an addition. The windows to the upper storeys have rubbed brick flat arches and projecting sills. The 1st floor windows are sashed and the 2nd floor windows are sashed without glazing bars. There are 2 flat-roofed attic dormers. The shopfronts are of stucco and have cornices surmounted by cast-iron brattishing, pilasters, and brackets. The left-hand shopfront occupies bays 1 to 4 and has a central segmental pediment with brackets carried on cast-iron columns. The right-hand shopfront occupies bays 6 and 7. The original entrance remains in the 5th bay and has a pilaster doorcase, a door with 6 panels, and a semicircular overlight. To the right of the entrance bay there is a lead rainwater pipe with a hopper inscribed 'TG 1768'. Gable chimneys.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records original staircase with turned balusters with square knops and ramped and moulded handrail. Various cornices, dado rails and window architraves. The initials TG are those of Thomas Gilbank, who purchased the house in 1768.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 55). Listing NGR: SE6007152306
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
No. 25 was erected in 1766 and has a rainwater head (Plate 106) dated 1768 with the initials TG for Thomas Gilbank who purchased the house in that year from Mrs. Woodyear (Rate Books; YCA, M13, M14). After 1850 the house was enlarged, increasing the front from five bays to seven, and the ground floor was converted to shops.
The original house was a substantial three-storey building with a central entrance. The late 19th-century shop front extends across the full width of the enlarged building incorporating the original entrance into the unified design. The shop front is no longer complete but is of interest as one of the few remaining shop fronts in the town which includes castiron construction. The maker's nameplate is almost illegible but the words Micklegate, York can still be made out. The brickwork above is in Flemish bond with windows under arches of gauged brick and fitted with 19th-century sashes. At the eaves is a timber cornice with modillions and dentils. The back is partly masked by modern commercial premises; a polygonal bay projects for the full height of the house. Inside, many original cornices, dado rails and window architraves remain but no fireplaces. The elegant staircase has turned balusters, clustered round a turned newel at the foot.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 55, Monument 38
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060385 THE SOCIETY CLUB, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 4 2020 6:08PM