Building record MYO1821 - 49 Bootham and attached railings
|Grid reference||SE 5997 5238 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
Two houses, now part of school. Built late C17; converted into one house and raised by a storey c1738; doorway altered late C18. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 4 bays. The facade has chamfered quoins and 2 storey bands. The upper one is moulded and may formerly have been the eaves cornice. The present cornice gutter is of timber with modillions. The windows are boxed sashes with glazing bars and have rubbed brick arches with keystones. The doorway, in the 3rd bay, has a door with 6 raised and fielded panels, a fanlight, and a doorcase with fluted pilasters carrying an open pediment. No chimneys visible. A bronze plaque attached to the front wall records incorrectly that Joseph Rowntree lived here 1836-1925.
INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records good quality fittings c1738, including staircase with turned balusters; 2 ground floor rooms have panelling and fireplaces with moulded surrounds; upper floor rooms have simple C18 fittings and fireplace.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the basement area is enclosed by iron railings on low stone copings. The standards have urn finials.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 59). Listing NGR: SE5997452386
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 49, was built in the late 17th century as two dwellings of two storeys with attics. In c. 1738 the two houses were converted into one (Deeds); the front part was heightened to three full storeys and remodelled with the addition of rusticated quoins. The back elevation was completely rebuilt in 1965.
The main front to the street is built in Flemish bond with a brick plinth, a plain band at first-floor level, and at the second floor a moulded stone string which may have formed the eaves cornice to the original houses; at each end are rusticated quoins in applied stucco. At the eaves a timber cornice with modillions projects boldly to carry a concealed gutter. The entrance has a late 18th-century door-case with timber pilasters carrying an open pediment. At the S.E. end is an arch for an opening now blocked which may have been an original entrance. The rear elevation, before rebuilding, had two 17th-century gables and projections which probably housed staircases and closets. None of the original windows remained, all having been replaced by sash windows of various dates.
Surviving 17th-century work includes a moulded plaster cornice, stop-chamfered and stop-moulded ceiling beams and, in the kitchen, moulded joists. Bolection-moulded panelling forming a dado in the entrance hall must also antedate the alterations of 1738. The two front rooms on the ground floor are lined with ovolo-moulded and fielded panelling and have fireplaces with moulded surrounds all of c. 1738. Irregularities in the ceiling of the S.E. room suggest the removal of a partition enclosing an original entrance passage at the S.E. side. The staircase has an open string, turned balusters, and a heavy handrail terminating at the foot in a volute over a turned newel and clustered balusters; the lower flight is built up on a heavy inner string reused from an earlier staircase. On the first floor one of the back rooms has a surround to the fireplace, architraves to door and window and an over-door all moulded and enriched and of c. 1738. Other rooms on this floor have simpler 18th-century fittings. The top floor, appearing as a full storey on the elevation, comprises attic rooms, since the 17th-century roofs were modified but not destroyed when the front was heightened. The trusses are of simple collar-beam form and the purlins are staggered and held by tusk tenons projecting through the principal rafters.
(An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO London: 1975-: 59. Monument 43
A house built in the late 17th century with alterations of circa 1738. Built in brick, with 3-storeys, the top storey is an 18th century addition. There are 4 sash windows with keyblocks; rusticated stucco quoins; plain band at 1st floor and moulded string-course at 2nd floor; late 18th century fluted pilaster doorcase with semi-circular radial fanlight and open pediment; moulded modillion eaves cornice; hipped slate roof. A bronze plaque records that Joseph Rowntree lived here 1836-1925. The Interior of the ground storey has good fireplaces and panelling, and some 17th century work throughout.
Full description(s) ?
(SE 59975239 - O.S 1/2500, 1962)
1. 5343 BOOTHAM (north-east side) No 49 SE 5952 SE 12/98 14.6.54 Grade II*
2. Late C17 with alterations of circa 1738. Brick; 3-storeys, the top storey an C18 addition; 4 sash windows with keyblocks; rusticated stucco quoins; plain band at 1st floor and moulded string-course at 2nd floor; late C18 fluted pilaster doorcase with semi-circular radial fanlight and open pediment; moulded modillion eaves cornice; hipped slate roof. Bronze plaque records that Joseph Rowntree lived here 1836-1925. Interior: Ground storey with good fireplaces and panelling, and some C17
work throughout. (RCHM Vol IV, Monument 43.) (1)
1 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) City of York, N Yorks, June 1983, 25
BF060390 49 BOOTHAM, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1975, RCHME Volume 4, Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse (Monograph). SYO2424.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 5 2020 4:04PM