Building record MYO1756 - 18 Castlegate

Summary

In 1852, the house was recorded as the Rectory of St Mary's Church, Castlegate. Built in the early 18th century, incorporating an earlier timber-framed hall house; renovated with a new shopfront in c.1986. Original building timber-framed, now encased in brick, painted at front, with painted stone architraves and renewed moulded cornice; slate roof at front, pantile at back, with brick stacks. Exterior: 3-storey 3-bay front. Shopfront with glazed door between bracketed windows.

Location

Grid reference SE 6040 5160 (point)
Map sheet SE65SW
Unitary Authority City of York, North Yorkshire

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

House, now shop. Early C18, with earlier origins; renovated with new shopfront c1986. Original building timber-framed, now encased in brick, painted at front, with painted stone architraves and renewed moulded cornice; slate roof at front, pantile at back, with brick stacks.

EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-bay front. Shopfront with glazed door between bracketed windows. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes in raised architraves with sills, centre one on first floor pedimented. Centre windows on both floors enclosed in shallow raised panel with rebated head. Raised first floor band, broken by centre panel.

INTERIOR: not inspected, but RCHM record elements of timber-framing of full-height hall exposed in rear wall during renovations in 1986. In 1852, house was recorded as the Rectory of St Mary's Church, Castlegate (now The York Story, qv).

(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 114).
Listing NGR: SE6040851608

Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005

(86) House, No. 18, of three storeys, was built in the early 18th century. In 1852 it was the Rectory of St. Mary's. The ground floor has been gutted and refronted to form a commercial office; above, the front has been painted white and the interior rearranged.

The three-bay front elevation has a plat-band at the second floor and a cornice at the wall-head. The windows have stone architraves and the middle one on the first floor is surmounted by a pediment and linked to that above by a slight projection which interrupts the band. The reset staircase from first to second floor has close strings, square newels and turned balusters of a different design on each of the two flights. The original plan provided for front and back rooms with the staircase placed transversely between them and lit by a window in the side wall.

City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 114

NMR Information

Related Monuments; General association 58256 Church Of St Mary Castlegate

613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey

BF060415 18, CASTLEGATE, YORK


NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.

RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • --- Unassigned: NMR. NMR data.
  • --- Monograph: RCHME. 1981. City of York Volume V: The Central Area.

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 6 2020 7:46PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.