Building record MYO1653 - 24 Colliergate
|Grid reference||SE 6048 5191 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, now shop. Early C18 with later C18 alteration and extension; early C20 alteration and shopfront. Buff-pink brick in Flemish bond with orange-red brick dressings and stone coped parapet; pantile roof with brick coped shaped gable to left; rendered brick stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 5-window front. Shopfront extends to Nos 25 and 26 (qv) with glazed door recessed to left of plate glass windows with transom lights: mosaic floor in entrance incorporates shop name Barnitts. Windows on upper floors are 12-pane sashes, those on second floor squatter, with brick sills and flat arches of rubbed brick; second floor centre window blocked. Raised brick bands to second floor and eaves parapet. Three flat dormers with 2-light Yorkshire sashes to attic. Inverted bell rainwater head dated 1768 to right of centre of parapet.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 120-121).
Listing NGR: SE6049451923
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 24, of three storeys and attics, was built c. 1720 on a double-fronted plan but has been drastically altered internally to provide a shop and stockrooms. The front, above the modern shop, is built of common brick with red brick dressings to the windows and to a plat-band at each floor level. The roof rises behind a parapet. A rainwater head is dated 1768. The N.E. side is finished with an ogee-shaped parapetted gable.
Internally the house is divided by two partition walls parallel with the front: the front part had two rooms on each floor; the middle part is narrower and contains a modest staircase starting at the first floor at the N. end, and may originally have had a main staircase at the S. end; the back part contained a further two rooms on each floor. Many of the partitions have been removed. The staircase has close strings, square newels with turned pendants, and turned balusters. Some of the rooms retain original ceiling cornices and, on the second floor, simple moulded fireplace surrounds. The attics have lime-ash floors.
Behind the house, to N.E., is a small two-storey building, probably of the late 18th century.
Monument 122; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 120-121
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060490 24 COLLIERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2020 1:04PM