Building record MYO1645 - 27 Colliergate
|Grid reference||SE 6048 5193 (point)|
|Unitary Authority||City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (5)
House, now offices. Late C16 with late C17 extension; remodelled and extended further in early C18; C20 modernisation and shopfront. Front block timber-framed, fronted in painted and incised render; rear wing rendered; pantile roof with truncated brick stack to left.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attics; 2-window front. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes with painted stone sills and raised bands above window heads. Dentil and modillion eaves cornice, and two dormers with 2x6-pane Yorkshire sashes to attic.
INTERIOR: staircase rises around open well from ground to second floor with open string, heavy turned balusters, turned newel at foot and moulded ramped-up handrail: attic extension has close string and similar, slender balusters. First floor: subdivided rear room has chamfered beams and retains fireplace, raised and fielded dado panelling and 3-panel cupboard door. On second floor, front rooms divided by studded partition wall incorporating doorway blocked with wall tiles: both have ogee-stopped chamfered spine beams. Room to left has moulded fireplace in later surround with applied mouldings and cornice shelf. Room to right has exposed studded cross wall. Rear room has chamfered beams. In attic, timber-framed walls and studded partition survive.
(City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 121).
Listing NGR: SE6048651934
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
House, No. 27, was built in the late 16th or early 17th century as a three-storeyed timber-framed range of two bays, parallel to the street. The front was rebuilt in brick c. 1725 and the building was enlarged at the back to more than double its original size.
The front elevation has been much altered: a shop front occupies the ground floor; on the first floor are two 19th-century windows; on the second floor two smaller windows represent two of four early 18th-century windows, but there are some indications of a third, with mullion and transom visible inside. The back elevation is gabled.
The middle of the house is occupied by an open-well staircase and a large chimney. The staircase has open strings, one turned newel at the foot only, and turned balusters. It is continued from the second floor to the attics by a close-string stair. The upper rooms at the back retain some early 18th-century panelling and fire-surrounds, one with added decoration probably by T. Wolstenholme c. 1800. The top floor at the front retains some of the original timber framing; the roof over the front part is of clasped-purlin construction; the back part has simple tie-beam trusses with butt-purlins.
Monument 124; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 121
613515 Architectural Survey Investigation by RCHME/EH Architectural Survey
BF060492 27 COLLIERGATE, YORK File of material relating to a site or building. This material has not yet been fully catalogued.
NMR, NMR data (Unassigned). SYO2214.
RCHME, 1981, City of York Volume V: The Central Area (Monograph). SYO65.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 15 2020 12:53PM