Building record MYO1561 - THE EDINBURGH ARMS
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6074 5116 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (3)
House, now public house. c1830 with later extensions; converted to public house 1937. Stucco, with inn front of timber and buff-brown herringbone brick infilling; hipped slate roofs with prominent moulded timber eaves cornice and stucco cornice stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front, centre bay projecting slightly; in front is full width ground floor extension; to right, 1-storey extension set back. Inn front is framed in plain pilasters with imposts beneath entablature with moulded cornice. Cornice rises in centre to form pediment over panelled double doors with diamond lattice overlight. Windows on each side are 16-pane sashes. On first floor windows are 12-pane sashes; on second floor, squat 9-pane sashes; all have raised surrounds, centre one on first floor with triple keyblock. Raised bands to first and second floors. Extension to right has reset open pedimented doorcase with fluted pilasters, imposts, and rosettes in frieze blocks: door is 6 panelled with radial fanlight in round-arched architrave. Rear: panelled double doors and overlight as on front, reset in extension. Remainder largely refenestrated although one 16-pane sash survives on first floor of original block, and two 12-pane sashes on first floor of extension wing. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Dissertation for MA in Architectural Building Conservation: Davison Andrew P: "A Good House, fit for the purpose: Public House Design in York": De Montfort University: 1993-: 174).
Listing NGR: SE6074051165
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2014 5:20PM