Building record MYO1557 - 5 and 7 Fossgate
No summary available.
|Grid reference||SE 6052 5180 (point)|
|Civil Parish||York, City of York, North Yorkshire|
Type and Period (2)
Pair of shops. 1884, with later alteration. By W Brown; shopfronts manufactured by the Thomlinson Walker Ironfoundry. Front of cast-iron and plate glass; left return of red brick in stretcher bond, right return rebuilt in red brick. Two brick stacks, one rebuilt, to slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-bay front, each shop being 3 bays. Shopfronts composed of three superimposed orders. Ground floor has part-fluted pilasters with foliate capitals; plain fascia and enriched dentil cornice between acanthus brackets with segmental caps enclosing shell motif survives to No.5. On first and second floors, the orders are fluted columns encircled by bands of rosettes, without capitals on first floor, Ionic on second floor. Plain cornice on first floor; on second floor, boldly projecting eaves cornice on moulded consoles between acanthus brackets capped with segmental gablets enclosing Art Nouveau floral motifs. Shop windows and doors altered on ground floor. On first floor, windows are flat-headed; on second floor, segment-headed with scrolled mouldings in spandrels. Panels of leaded stained glass survive in centre lights on first floor to No.5, and on second floor to both shops. Second floor centre lights have flat balustrades of scrolled wrought-iron. INTERIOR: not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 82, 178; York Historian: Malden J: The Walker Ironfoundry, York, c.1825-1923: York: 1976-: 51).
Listing NGR: SE6054351814
Derived from English Heritage LB download dated: 22/08/2005
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 11:52AM